King of the World

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by GARRETTgalbreath, Feb 15, 2005.

1. GARRETTgalbreath

GARRETTgalbreath TPF Noob!

Hey I took this picture earlier today (that's my little bro) and it's unedited right now, but I wanted some opinions on where to go with it.

[​IMG]

I think I'm going to remove some of the ground close to the bottom -- I think it looks really bad. And I'd like to remove the branch in the upper-left corner, but I don't want to get rid of the clouds there. Let me have your worst :D

Happy V-Day everyone :hug::

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    While I don't mind that branch too much, I do mind the rubbish on the ground which can very easily be cropped out. Other than that you seem to have found a very good title - plus it seems like it has been a very nice day! I wonder where this "king's world" is?

3. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Photos OK to edit
    Exposure seems a little off -- I think it would be better either exposed less so that your brother is all dark like a shilouette, or exposed more so that the foreground is not washed out in a dark grey (but that would probably throw out the sky since it would be overexposed). I also agree with you about cropping off the ground at the bottom; it is kind of distracting. But overall this pic is good :)

4. spike000

spike000 TPF Noob!

Go back and take it again and bracket loads - if you must mess around in photoshop then try merging the bracketed images later.

Spike

5. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that exposure is very good. the branch does not distract me, but I'd crop almost half of the bottom :)

6. surfingfireman

surfingfireman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the branch works well for framing the shot, but I agree with cutting off more of the bottom. On my monitor, the exposure looks pretty good for your brother to be a perfect silouette.

7. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I think a silouette would be perfect for this picture as well. If you go back and reshoot, maybe try putting him under the brand on the left looking toward the sun setting (which seems to be to the right of him in this pic), and then cutting out some of the bottom, and on a day with good cloud coverage I think you'd get a pretty sweet shot :) Good luck!!!

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I love the branch on the left. The clouds are whisping off of it and I think it is key to this photo. Tell us why you want to remove them. I am also wondering why the King of the world would have a bush in front of him. Croppping the bottom would give this shot more of a horizontal/ landscape feel. The current version seems a little too square.

9. GARRETTgalbreath

GARRETTgalbreath TPF Noob!

I thought the branch on the left seemed a little distracting. It's not really IN FRONT of him, more to the side, but I should've tried another angle I suppose. I have the bottom cropped in an edited version, but I uploaded this one just so you guys can give me an opinion how my pics look just 'stock'. I don't like heavy editing of pics with photoshop or a similar program.

10. conch

conch TPF Noob!

"King of the world" is a very bold statement but I didnt' get that from the picture. Your brother's off to one side kind of subdued. slouching? IMO he should be right in the center between the tree and bush and act like Leo in Titanic. body language is important here. I would also suggest shooting from a lower angle to show off his majestic stature. just my newbie observation. :)

11. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Personally; The subject is fairly prominent in the frame. The branches do not seem that distracting. The sunset is nice, but I think all the branches break it up nicely.

12. leecheewei85

leecheewei85 TPF Noob!

i think the branch at the left appears real great!
    i also feel that the title together with the sunrise (or is it sunset) really looked great!~ great shot!!!!

however there are certainly some form of improvements that could be made. (IMO)
    firstly, the branch on the left could be more exposed. it could be better utilised if more branches on the left are seen. your bro could stand closer towards the branch on the left (not behind or in front though) instead of the right one!~
    Secondly, i felt that the branch and your bro standing behind that branch-like thingy is kinda distracting for me. its as if the branches have emerged out from his body... Heehee... anyway, i'm against overlapping.

for cropping, i would crop away the litter as Lafoto mentioned.