Kit Lens & 50mm difference

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by peekay, Nov 14, 2009.

1. peekay

peekay TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    /

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. Pugs

Pugs TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The faster 50mm will give you nicer bokeh, shallower depth of field, better image quality, sharper focus, etc...

3. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    on a 1.6x crop frame body, the 50mm would be a 80mm. Not a very useful general purpose focal length. It maybe good for portraits. A 33mm would be a good "normal" lens for a 1.6x crop frame Canon body.

4. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 50mm f/1.8 II is an OK lens. It's a small step up from the kit lens, and the f/1.8 offers good background blur, but the optics are so-so. It's a prime lens, so it's not that bad, but it's not going to be as good as the 1.4 or 1.2. The 1.2 is ludicrously expensive, but the 1.4 is a pretty reasonable ~400$. It offers better image quality, USM focusing, and full time manual focusing. I originally bought a 1.8 and a few months later, sold it for the 1.4 instead.

5. seekinglight

seekinglight TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Depends on what you are shooting. The zoom lens is too slow for indoor sports. I use 50mm -but I have a pass to be at courtside so the short focal length (on my 1.6 crop camera) is not a problem when action is near the net. The f1.8 lens was too slow to focus. I upgraded to the f1.4 because it's motor focused faster.
    I've never taken my 50mm lens down to f3.5 - I love shallow depth of field so my subject stands out and the background is blurr. Go to a camera store, put the f1.8 lens on your camera and at f1.8 photograph a person who is standing out in the open (not against a wall!) from very close range -say 5 feet. Take the same shot with your zoom lens at the same focal length. One shot will look great -almost a 3-D affect. The other shot will look the same as you would get with a $100 Kodak. If you like what you see, do the right thing and buy from that store.

6. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 50mm f/1.8 should be MUCH sharper than the 18-55 at 50mm f/5.6.

7. dcmountaineer

dcmountaineer TPF Noob!

The 1.8 (aka, 'Nifty-50', 'plastic wonder') is great. But keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Since you can find it most places for $90-100, the build quality is not going to compare to the 1.4.

However, you can get great shots with the 1.8. If you want a cheap, sharp prime lens - this fits the bill. But keep a more flexible lens in your arsenal (18-55, etc) for everyday shots.