Kit lens at a wedding?

Oh, I think everyone here knows that.

The point I'm trying to make is: I'd much rather have YOU shoot my daughter's wedding with a point 'n' shoot than some of the photographers in my area that are loaded for bear.

You are a sweetheart Pete. I've missed you! Thank you for being so kind.

Hey, David has a post below this one, asking about specific studio help. I told him you were the perfect man for the job. :)

I did some backup shooting a while ago, and we were kinda short handed on gear, so I brought along my nikon 18-55. I ended up mostly using that and my 50mm, but shooting wide with the 18-55 with an sb-800 gave me a lot of good images. Keep in mind I was there for experience (unpaid) and shooting backup, but many of my images came out just as good as the paid professional.

I think most pro's are pretty elitest when it comes to gear, but it's probably only because they own several thousand dollars worth of gear, whereas we, the amateur, do not. When making relatively small prints, the difference between the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and the f2.8 is going to be pretty marginal. Probably unrecognizable to the average bride and groom.

I did some backup shooting a while ago, and we were kinda short handed on gear, so I brought along my nikon 18-55. I ended up mostly using that and my 50mm, but shooting wide with the 18-55 with an sb-800 gave me a lot of good images. Keep in mind I was there for experience (unpaid) and shooting backup, but many of my images came out just as good as the paid professional.

I think most pro's are pretty elitest when it comes to gear, but it's probably only because they own several thousand dollars worth of gear, whereas we, the amateur, do not. When making relatively small prints, the difference between the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and the f2.8 is going to be pretty marginal. Probably unrecognizable to the average bride and groom.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't have the average bride and groom. :) There isn't anything elitist IMO, about doing the best job I can for my clients.

I think that's the difference. Some people are saying that it's OK to use a kit lens, or that they did and it was fine....but if you a trying to be a successful, top end wedding photography...you will use the best tool for the job.

I think that's the difference. Some people are saying that it's OK to use a kit lens, or that they did and it was fine....but if you a trying to be a successful, top end wedding photography...you will use the best tool for the job.

I think if I were going to do it professionally, then yes, I would wait until I had top-end gear (just for reliability). I'm just suggesting that perhaps the photographer wasn't a professional or didn't yet have the funds for the $1100 18-55 f2.8 (edit: Canon... probably more than that).

I hear ya antithesis, and yes, when you start out, many people don't have the money for that type of thing.
And there are brides out there willing to give up certain things for pricing that is more affordable to them.
I honestly understand that.

I post from my viewpoint now, but remember my beginnings as well.

My advice to anyone with a kit lens would be to put every penny you make back into your equipment. You might not see the difference now, but you will.

So, I'm new to the lens thing. What exactly do I want to look for in a new lens? And what will price range end up being?
As mentioned, you can shoot a wedding with just about any lens...but most people believe that a professional should use professional grade tools.

Firstly, I would suggest looking at lenses with a large maximum aperture. For zoom lenses, that means F2.8. This gives you the ability to use faster shutter speeds, which can mean sharper shots. It also gives you the ability to use a shallower DOF.
Typically, zoom lenses with a max aperture of F2.8 are also the top of the line lenses. Most of Canon's top of the line lenses are designated with an L in the name. 24-70 F2.8 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS...for example.

Generally, an easy way to tell a lens's quality is by the price. For example, a typical 'kit' lens might be around $100...and a typical 'top of the line' lens might be close to $1000.

I agree that if you are charging for a job, and charging a decent amount, you need to have the best tools for the job. A kit lens at a wedding that the photog charges 5k for (probably profits more then half that), is appalling. However, a kit lens at a wedding where the photog is doing it probono...no problem there. I think what is worst then the gear is when you see the technique and the lighting a photog is using and you just want to scream because you know the photos will disappoint the B&G.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back