Kit lens or other?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ss7, Jul 30, 2010.

1. ss7

ss7 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have very little experience with photography. I would like a good quality camera that I can grow with. The main purpose for me is taking pictures of reef aquaria. I have decided to go with a Canon 50d and 100mm f/2.8 macro for fulfill my main goal.

Secondary, which may turn primary, is photography as a hobby. I'm in college and spend a lot of time outdoors, socializing, and working in a very interesting lab. I would love to be able to document some of my experiences with photography. I have never owned a camera in my life, so I don't know what to expect.

My question is, should I opt for the kit lens (28-135), or skip it by purchasing the camera body and purchasing the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, etc?

If you were getting established, and only had the budget for kit or a single alternative, which would it be?

Regards,
    Sam

2. ss7

ss7 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To clarify.. I am certainly purchasing the 50d body, 100mm macro, and 1 additional lens. I'm looking for recommendations as to what lens that would be.. the kit for reduced expense, or an alternative.

Thanks!

3. 1000DUser

1000DUser TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hello :) im not too sure about the 28-135mm but i can tell you the 17-50mm tamron is sharp and clear, i dont own one YET, but its bound to be my top on the list to buy lens. i read alot of reviews about it and i heard its a pretty awesome lens. also you might consider the 28-75mm tamron, 17mm-50mm and 28-70mm tamron has the same sharpness and optics just diffrent focal length, one with a wider focal length which is 17mm the other one with a less wider focal length but a more zoomed focal length, also the 28-70mm on a 50D just isnt gonna work for landscapes and wideangles since 50D is a apc-s camera.

4. 1000DUser

1000DUser TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    btw if youre interested in wide angles a extremely wide angle lens would be recomended, like 10-22 canon or 11-16 / 12-24 tokina. or maybe the sigma 10-20

5. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Just dont get the kit lens.. REALLY.. you can find one on Craiglist for cheap if you really want one. Because people upgrade and never touch the kit lens again so they sell it.

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    As a Nikonian, I can't talk specifics about Canon lenses with any authority, but I would suggest that a your second lens should definitely be a general-purpose zoom lens. I would lean more toward the 17-50 than the 28-135 since on an APS-C sensor'd camera, 28 is not really very wide. Before making the decision though, I would spend some time thinking about whether you will want longer or wider glass.

7. ss7

ss7 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I appreciate the responses. I don't want to regret getting the kit lens -- that is why I'm asking. It looks like it would be a more wise investment to go with the Tamron.

8. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's actually a good idea - you could probably find one for next to nothing - maybe even free.

Are you talking the Tamron and the 50mm 1.4, or just one of them?

I haven't used the Tamron, but the 50 1.4 is a good lens. Both sounds good if it's in your budget.

9. ss7

ss7 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm talking or. I'm looking for something to put on it to carry around with me. I think I'm going with the tamron for now.