Kit lens replacement?

The Nikon equivalent is about 500 or so dollars more than the Sigma. I would pass.

Yea it is...I inquired about the price when I was at the camera place and it was just under the price of a new D300

I went to my local camera shop today and looked at the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 they want $408 for that one, or, they have a Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 for $709.95. What do you guys think of these?

I'll agree with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 option. It is the sharpest among the Sigma/Tokina/Tamron options. Tokina is the least sharp from the reviews I've read, but it has really good build quality. For the price (being the same) between the Sigma and Tamron, I'd suggest the Tamron. It seems to be consistently usable at f2.8 whereas many talk about the Sigma needing to be at f/4 or more to get sharp results (Just what I've read).

I actually just went through this decision and ordered the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Should be here Thursday and I couldn't be more excited.

I'll agree with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 option. It is the sharpest among the Sigma/Tokina/Tamron options. Tokina is the least sharp from the reviews I've read, but it has really good build quality. For the price (being the same) between the Sigma and Tamron, I'd suggest the Tamron. It seems to be consistently usable at f2.8 whereas many talk about the Sigma needing to be at f/4 or more to get sharp results (Just what I've read).

I actually just went through this decision and ordered the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Should be here Thursday and I couldn't be more excited.

Can I ask where you got it, and how much you paid?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back