Kit Lenses

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Its easy i guess ... Are they as bad as Im beginning to think? I cant get as sharp as I like. I have the 18-55mm AFS and 75-300mm AF. I just need better. the 75-300 seems the worst.

Well there not horrible but they are a kit lens not Pro 3k dollar glass. Depending on what you shoot if you can try adjusting the aperture to about f/8 and you will get better sharpness in your pictures. If you really want amazing quality you can get like the 70-200 f/2.8 but that isn't a reality for most people so just try to keep it at f/8 and use a tripod if you can. GL
TJ

They are not the best... But of course, they are some of the least expensive lenses you can get.

Stopped down a little they're not bad. That pretty much means that you can't use them much in low light... Decent lens for daylight though.

Better lenses (that also cost several time more) will perform much better, as I'm sure you suspected.

Your thinking along the right lines - thinking of the glass and not the camera body - which is the best way to think of things. Certianly in the future if you have the funds it is better to focus on teh glass first and then the camera body.
Follow the advice given on trying to stop down the lens to maximise its sharpenss. A tripod is also a very big help - especailly with the longer ends of both the zooms (esp the 70-300mm) - other supports like beanbags are also a great help when working at lower angles.
Essentailly work on your shooting methodology and your practice as well as learning to "read the light" (that won't come easy or quick) so that you know what to set the camera to as well as what is good and poor lighting - your lenses have limits and even pro end ones have them too - learning what those are can let you work within them and thus maximise your results. It's skills that will transfer very well to new lenses in the future so its not time wasted in the least.

Thank you for replies. I have been learning more about stoping down more. Overread, you brought some things into perspective for me about craftsmanship in photography. I can relate it to other hobbies I do and teach. I just got a mag to learn a little more and might pick up some books. im still getting used to that. Ill most likely get a couple lenses i can use with a new body then in the furure get body.
I do use a tripod as much as possable. i have 2 and I have not goten to the sandbag thing but i am getting to learn the shutter lock now for longer exp's.
Again thx!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back