Know what sucks?

I

Iron Flatline

Leaving your camera on the back seat of a Berlin taxi at 5 AM after a really PHAT night, that's what SUCKS.

Fortunately it was "only" my little Leica D-Lux 3, which will be replaced tout de suite!

And fortunately I have the full memory chip, I had just switched to another one and that only had 10 shots on it.

Garr... I called all five cab dispatch centers, and the City Lost-and-Found.

Anyway, this little rant of mine probably does not belong in this Forum, but I feel like a total Beginner in the Game of Life, so I'm posting here.

Leaving your camera on the back seat of a Berlin taxi at 5 AM after a really PHAT night, that's what SUCKS.

Fortunately it was "only" my little Leica D-Lux 3, which will be replaced tout de suite!

And fortunately I have the full memory chip, I had just switched to another one and that only had 10 shots on it.

Garr... I called all five cab dispatch centers, and the City Lost-and-Found.

Anyway, this little rant of mine probably does not belong in this Forum, but I feel like a total Beginner in the Game of Life, so I'm posting here.

I feel your pain and am sorry to hear about your loss. I left my purse (with brand new Powershota620) at a game in the arcade. I realized almost immediately and came racing back. I saw the girls leave the game but could see my purse so thought all is good. They raided it pretty good, but luckily left my wallet (minus the money).

Its a bad feeling - I hope it turns up for you.

Ugh. I have a similar feeling in that Apple computers "Accidentally" erased my entire hard drive. I hadn't backed up in quite some time. Thank god for Xanax.
I feel your pain,
julie

That really stinks. Im so sorry for your loss. Good luck in finding it.

Ugh. I have a similar feeling in that Apple computers "Accidentally" erased my entire hard drive. I hadn't backed up in quite some time.
That's a right of passage. It takes a good data loss like that to make you take storage and backup seriously.
Never have only 1 hard drive, if that's all you have then partition it.

Your best bet is an external hard drive.
You can get a decent USB2.0 drive with quite a bit of storage for $100 or less.
If you have an old PC, network them both if they aren't already and set the old PC to be a file server by simply sharing the entire drive.
Then use that for backup.

We traveled to New Zealand in 2002 and had a few full memory cards stolen incedentally, they were in a backpack with $100NZ, our passports, and some electronics (phone, iPod, etc) that someone took.

At first having no passport stung. But I'll always regret losing hundreds of beautiful photographs I'll never be able to get back.

I travel very differently as a result, now. Backup, then backup the backups, then back those up, then keep them all in different places so I have protected redundancy. :)

Sorry for the loss of your camera, unfortunately, you're among many friends here who have done perhaps equally or more stupid things more than once. :)

Well, not that you're stupid, but mistakes like that make you feel that way.

We traveled to New Zealand in 2002 and had a few full memory cards stolen incedentally, they were in a backpack with $100NZ, our passports, and some electronics (phone, iPod, etc) that someone took.

At first having no passport stung. But I'll always regret losing hundreds of beautiful photographs I'll never be able to get back.

I travel very differently as a result, now. Backup, then backup the backups, then back those up, then keep them all in different places so I have protected redundancy. :)

Sorry for the loss of your camera, unfortunately, you're among many friends here who have done perhaps equally or more stupid things more than once. :)

Well, not that you're stupid, but mistakes like that make you feel that way.

If you carry a computer with you, you could back up your photos to the web - even if they aren't full resolution, you would have another "off-site" backup that cannot be mislaid or stolen.

Better yet, get a remote type program (logmein or similar), open up a remote ICQ session (or similar) between your home computer and your laptop, and ICQ full resolution copies of your picture files to your home computer. When you get home, they will be there waiting for you.

Caruso

Caruso

Are you still in Berlin (ja ja,I see your tag, but you move around a bit, right?)
Anyway...a few days have passed. Do another phone round...you never know how honest the Germans can be...may have been handed in and the mountain of typical German paper work is done now.

I left a packed camera bag in a tram in another German city one night...got it back from the central station about 2 hours later!

I'm hoping and counting on that. Nonetheless I've already places the order - I can always return the sealed box should my camera turn up.

I have high confidence in German honesty, but I'm also aware of the German ability to spot a good piece of camera equipment - esp. if it's homeless and has a Leica dot on it :)

Man Iron that does bite, sorry for your loss . I had to chuckle when you said at least I had swapped out the full card because that would have been my first thought... whew! at least I have my images:)

Most reactions

Back