Know your rights

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by DSLR noob, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ever been confused about weather or not you're allowed to shoot in an area? Ever been threatened by a rent-a-cop? Here is a list of 10 photography related laws. It's positive mostly :D turns out, pretty much 80 or 90% of the situations we've been denied photography, we could do anyway and have the law on our side :)

http://photojojo.com/content/tips/legal-rights-of-photographers/

2. Yahoozy

Yahoozy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well now that was entertaining hahah

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It should be mentioned that aside from the Lochness Monster all of those only really apply to America.

Certain rules are different. The standout one in Australia is that if an area is accessible by the public that does not make it public property. Shopping malls, privately owned parks etc are all at the digression of the owner, but you can legally take photos unless requested to stop.

As far as I can see all other rules apply.

4. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. 68Whiskey

68Whiskey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

With all due respect... I think dribble like this gives photographers a bad name. We can not walk around doing what we want under the guise of "I have rights". A real photographer respects the rights of his subjects and those around him. Or if you have a problem with that do not get caught. If you do get caught you can whip out legal documents 'till your blue in the face. No one is going to care and you will look like an idiot.

Of course a lot of famous photographers walked around the streets their whole lives and got amazing photos. I am just stating my point of view.

Love & Bass

7. patrickt

patrickt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Some of it is wrong. A courtroom is a public place. Care to try and take photos of a trial? How about a hospital?

So, if you're on a public sidwalk with a 600mm zoom shooting into the windows of the women's dorm at the college, that's fair game? I don't think so. Or, standing on the sidewalk in front of a grammar school shooting the kids?

I wonder about those who have great interest in their rights and no interest in responsible behavior.

8. Tasmaster

Tasmaster TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not really:

Also read the linked one, it goes into some more detail.

9. 68Whiskey

68Whiskey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If I am in a public place taking pictures and someone asks me to stop taking pictures of them I will respect their right. Until they complain I will keep doing it. So far I have had no objections. Which I personally do not sit at the park playground taking pictures. If I take pictures anywhere at a park it is because I got paid to cover a event or their is some sports related event going on.

10. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

If you read the article linked by the OP , it states that would not be ok cause they have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their windows. private rooms, kids that can be easily seen from public property and not inside buildings should be fair game.

11. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

What right is this ? Id like to know legally what right someone in public has to ask you to stop taking pictures of them.

12. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

A lot of famuos photographers walked around the streets their whole lives BEFORE 911, things are different now. I had an encounter with Long Beach PD friday night that was very unsettling to say the least, things are definately different now.

I would hardly say pointing out legal rights is dribble. But hey who knows.

It's war on us out there if you havent noticed , time to take a side and understand whats going on around you instead of just putting your head in the sand and hoping it will go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.