Knowing what your clients look like beforehand...

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Luna, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Luna

Luna TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  2. MelodySoul

MelodySoul TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just wondering, how would you prepare differently based on how she looks?

3. MelodySoul

MelodySoul TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok I see. Well I think for the silhouette, that is something you can always decide at the time. Also just because you feel that you wouldn't want one if you were heavier doesn't mean that she shares this point of view. A silhoutte from behind (opening the curtains for example) looks good with any size too I think. I can understand wanting to know what her style is though but personally I would feel weird asking for a photo of her. Can you set up a meeting to discuss what she is looking for before the shoot? That way you can really get an idea of not only her style and how she looks but her personality too.

If you can't set up a meeting I would just go into it prepared for anything and see what she is comfortable with.

4. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would do a pre-shoot meeting. I have never taken photos of people, but from a customer standpoint, I'd want to talk to the person taking photos of me to make sure we're on the same page. There's so many versions of "sexy" nowadays that one person's version of hot can be boring or obscene to another. I think the pre-shoot meeting would not only let you know how open-minded she is, but you could also "size her up" to see what types of poses and lighting would work best for her.

5. taracor

taracor TPF Noob!

The pre shoot meeting seems like a good idea for the reasons already mentioned. It will definitely help avoid the awkward situation of asking for a photo.

6. Rhubarb

Rhubarb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bingo.

7. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ask for a snap. At least in the "industry" people do this all the time. It's called testing.

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Finding out what she looks like before hand is a good idea, but not necessary. For me it comes down to the interaction between the model and I. Once I had a pre meeting and it was kind of pointless.

You are in a particular situation because the shots will be intimate. Pre meeting is mandatory. Boudoir style is tough. Be sure that you both can visualize the outcome before it happens. Chances of this deal working out poorly is very high.

Love & Bass

9. StillImage

StillImage TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Boudoir shots, you need to know the model never mind a snap. I need to meet them, and I don't take on the job if I feel they are unsuited for what they want. I meet, screen and discuss the shoot before I agree to any job. I always bring a stylist or assistant and never work with unkown clients alone ever. I will once I have worked with them before, but your putting yourself in a pretty precarious position if you don't meet them before hand, what if they are unable to actually go through with it, boudoir does not mean all nude shots, does she have lingerie, clothes, etc. and what do they expect from it. Boudoir is a very open term, you need a contract and strict guidelines before going forward with it. Never heard that in my life, don't meet them.

I don't shoot models for Corporate clients unless it is a model I recommend, I know of, know someone who has worked with them or I meet them. I meet any and every client before hand for any shoot, and Boudoir they need to make sure they meet some basic requirements or I refuse to do it. So let me get this, your going to meet a strange woman at her place or she comes to yours, heaven forbid something is misconstrued, they back out, they repulse you, and you would risk that? Horrible and just plain wrong advice. A rough estimate, 20% of my business is Boudoir or Artistic nudes, I would never put myself in that position and I lose a lot of money by turning down jobs but I do.

I am not trying to be out of order, but I been in doing this a long time and have seen photographers lose their reputation based on a flaky complaint, sued, etc and they all have won the suites but lawyers are really expensive, loss of work, reputation is even more costly. That is bad, very bad business practice. If your going to give business advice make sure you are very accurate about what you advise. I don't argue, this is not an area of discussion it is common sense and covering your ass. You can argue against my position but you would just be soooo wrong. Always treat any job even when you start out as a serious business commitment and treat it as such. The repercussions could be life altering.

10. cdanddvdpublisher

cdanddvdpublisher TPF Noob!

Definitely sounds like a pre-shoot meeting would be a great idea; you can always ask her to bring samples of what she's thinking about as well.