Kodachrome and Caffenol

Yeah, the sheer complexity and exacting nature of the developing process made Kodachrome a bugger to develop, at only a limited number of outlets, and then only during the decades when it occupied a preeminent position on the color slide film marketplace. Once E-4 procss slide film was developed, Kodachrome's death spiral commenced....E-6 process saw the number of processing labs reduced dramatically; digital-era whittled it down to one Kodak lab and Dwayne's...and then...no more film,and then a couple years later, no more developing from any lab. Pretty sure Kodachrome is gone forever. It's kind of a sad thing really-no more Kodachrome. Seems like Paul Simon's pleading was finally turned into a cruel reality.

My favorite Kodachrome event was the 1986 Walla Walla Balloon Stampede hot air balloon festival, held in eastern Washington's Palouse region...one of the country's most beautiful landscape areas, and combined with loads of colorful hot air balloons, it was a Kodachrome match made in heaven. My buddy Steve G. and I each took a brick of 64 Professional, plus whatever other spare film we had. The stampede was in the spring that year; this year it was in mid-October. The reds and yellows of those hot air balloons, plus the expansive fields of the green wheat of May were fabulous on Kodachrome!

Some photography classes, as well as college-level courses, require the students to shoot film.

Perhaps if it was also required for them to view actual KC images, tossed up on the movie screen by an honest-to-goodness slide projector, it might have a slim chance to stage a comeback.

Some photography classes, as well as college-level courses, require the students to shoot film.

Perhaps if it was also required for them to view actual KC images, tossed up on the movie screen by an honest-to-goodness slide projector, it might have a slim chance to stage a comeback.
I am afraid that this college level shoot on film courses do not much good. Film requires dedication and substantial slowdown of work. A qualities hard to find this days.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back