Kodak 203mm Ektar f/7.7 with No.2 supermatic shutter?

Bobby Ironsights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_0350.jpg

Hi, I've been talking to someone about purchasing a lens, and it's pretty much a done deal, but I just noticed at the last second, that it didn't look quite right. (I'd read as much as I could about the lens before making an offer).

It seems to have only one of it's contact points for a flash, not normally a big deal, but then I also noticed, in reviews of this lens, that it's almost always pictured with a "flash supermatic" shutter.

I'd like to make certain I know the differences between these two lens/shutters before I finalise the sale. Was there a difference in age/build quality? Is it going to be impossible to ever use a flash with this combo? Is there a significant difference in resale value?

Any advice you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated, as I'd not like to keep the potential seller waiting long.

The Ektar is surely one of the best 4x5 lenses out there. The Quality Control at Kodak far exceeded the one done at some famous German lens factories. The shutters you can find this little gem are the Graflex Compur, the Supermatic and the Flash Supermatic. Unless you shoot flash LF photography I would not be bothered by the lack of flash synch. If the price is right (they sell for about $200 in the US with a Flash Supermatic), grab it. It's one of the sharpest pieces of glass for the 4x5, even at wide open (f7.7) and many compare this lens' results with results from an APO lens. Yes, it is that good! Good luck with buying it, shooting with it too. ;)

Oh, BTW, if you have more questions about the Ektar I would definitely contact FLUTOT, Carol Miller there is a wonderful person and a great repair lady. She knows tons and tons about old lenses/shutters.

Ok, so, let's see if I'm up to speed......what I'm looking at then, is a 1947 lens,(from camerosity date code) in a 1942 shutter (from etched in date on rear) without flash sync?
Ok, so, is there an aftermarket product that could allow me to use a studio flash setup with this lens or should I pass on the lens, and look for one with a flash sync shutter?

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

Ok, if you're going to use flash with this lens, then I would say no to buying it. Unless the price is ridiculously low, like, say, $25-50 USD. Otherwise, there are quite a few of them on the Ebay.

You could have it mounted in a modern copal shutter if you wanted google SK Grimes for this. It was intended as a color and 5x7 lens but has limited coverage beyond that, it is quite a sharp lens.

Most reactions

Back