Kodak B/W Film Unavailable?

tim3289

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How many people still use B/W film? Actually quite a few, especially students taking photography classes. I manage a camera store and lately I have been unable to get any Kodak B/W 400asa Film (T-Max or Tri-X). My people who are "in the know" tell me that Kodak has cut production to the point that they can't keep up with demand.

Has anyone else had problems with this? Is Kodak just being over-cautious or are they trying really hard to get out of the film business?

tim3289 said:
How many people still use B/W film? Actually quite a few, especially students taking photography classes. I manage a camera store and lately I have been unable to get any Kodak B/W 400asa Film (T-Max or Tri-X). My people who are "in the know" tell me that Kodak has cut production to the point that they can't keep up with demand.

Has anyone else had problems with this? Is Kodak just being over-cautious or are they trying really hard to get out of the film business?

They've actually started producing a new B/W film that processes C-41. It's a good film and is easier for people to get processed. I use it now pretty religiously and have been thoroughly impressed with the results. As for the stopping of production of the older B/W films, I'm not sure but Kodak is known for shifting gears toward the demands of the masses.

Hope this helps. :D

Actually, Kodak has produced C-41 B/W film for many years. It may be good for the occasional photographer who just wants to try out B/W. It has the advantage that it can be "processed anywhere". However, it is difficult to process at home or school because it is C-41. Also, most 1-hour photo labs (who this film was targeted to) only print on color paper and the results are usually less than satisfying when compared to true B/W processing.

I haven't had any problems getting Tmax 100 in 120 size, or 100' rolls of Tri-X 35mm. Other than that I use Ilford films or Arista ("generic" Ilford). Haven't had any problems getting them either, although I do worry with Ilford's financial problems.

Kodak has hung onto Kodachrome for at least 2 decades longer than they cared to because of consumer demand. Hopefully they will continue to provide traditional process BW films.

I think the C41 BW films have their place, but I do my own processing, and prefer the control that the normal BW process gives me. Just think, if C41 BW were all we could get then goodbye zone system.

I have decided that I'm going to start trying the films marketed by these folks

http://www.jandcphotography.com/

Like a few other small companies they are providing BW films that have been discontinued by the big manufacturers. I may be wrong, but I sense little concern about actual photography, and mostly concern about profits from the big guys these days. I'd rather pay more to support companies that I think actually are interested in photography, particularly traditional BW darkroom photography.

Checked B&H and Adorama they are both low or out of these films. Most likely it just do fewer production run because the world is color and the film market is dead.

I order for http://www.jandcphotography.com a lot. Morning orders are usual shipped out on the same day.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/index.php?sc=23014 is also a good option, IMP the only bad thing about them is their $25 minimum order.

Seems like this thread is already very old......4 days old ;)

I presume B&H or Adorama were out of stock because of the recent holiday perhaps?

Kodak 400 film isn't something which my suppliers ever run out of: their film is more expensive than other major brands. Over the past few months, mostly Ilford material has been on back-order although this is now mostly resolved.

I did like Kodak T400CN sheet film, although this is also now discontinued.
Since they discontinued their slower emulsions; verichrome; technical pan; Kodachrome 25, it's hard trying to keep optimistic and rational.

Arista sounds interesting as a substitute: will have to try this.
The J&C film is lovely and smooth - I'll have to remember to get some next time.

Kodak have closed their factory in Australia and are shutting down pretty much everywhere the evil bastards are trying to kill film if you haven't noticed.

Floyd said:
Kodak have closed their factory in Australia and are shutting down pretty much everywhere the evil bastards are trying to kill film if you haven't noticed.
Why in the world would they want to kill their lifeblood? They close plants because people aren't buying as much film as they used to.

No Kodak are trying to completely get out of film and into digital, in the early nineties the Keating government gave Kodak a shitload of money not to pull out of Australia and they've stayed til now because they're trying to change photography. Heaps of workers all around the world have been laid off and plants closed simply because Kodak are stepping up huge marketing campaigns to push people into digital. They're moving all their base of operations to the US and trying to quickly push people out of film. It's simple bourgeois mentality really they're making the new technology a necessity by killing the old technology and forcing people to follow them and spend.

Tim, ive used black and white but not since last symester. I still got a roll but I dont have any chemicals to develop it with. I would probably do more of it if I was able to get rolls cheap but right now its more expensive than regular film, and I dont use reg film due to the cost.

And it makes sense for a film company to try to go digital, more profit for less inventory, and people upgrade more often. It would be nice if someone took over where kodak left off though. Like if kodak stops making b&w film, to have someone step in and offer the same quality for the same price.

"And it makes sense for a film company to try to go digital, more profit for less inventory, and people upgrade more often. It would be nice if someone took over where kodak left off though. Like if kodak stops making b&w film, to have someone step in and offer the same quality for the same price. "

Gerry - that won't be difficult: Fuji already make great emulsions (some say better quality, rather than the same quality) for a lower price ;)

I often think tecnolodgy advancements are for the worst. Thing of the unemployment rate ): I'm hoping FujiFilm won't be cutting down. I mostly use their film.

Ya but some people dont like fuji, some people prefer it, some people prefer Illford, some people prefer kodak. Its nice to have a veriety of choice for those that are picky.

Ive heard kodak makes the best infrared film so I wonder if they will stop making that stuff as well. My film camera uses an infrared spoket counter and the front of the film door ha sa pattern to it, so atm I cant do infrared till I find an older camera, hopefully by then it will still be available.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back