Kodak Instamatic X-15

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I'm a commercial photographer for an internet site using purely digital, but I recently picked up a Kodak Instamatic X-15 which uses 126-film. I'm interested in seeing what kind of pictures I'll take with an older point and shoot, but I had a couple of questions.

Do I have to take the 126 film to a professional lab for developing or can Sav-On still do it?

The camera came with two Magic Cubes in a box taped to the camera...I'm assuming these are four flashes per cube?

Is 126 film still readily available or do I have to scour the world for cartridges? What about magic cubes? Where can I find those?

Also, if anyone has any information regarding usage in general, I would be much obliged.

Thanks!!

You can still get it according to Wiki, but it is hard to find.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/126_film
You will probably need to process it yourself but this place might help.
http://www.retrophotographic.com/

They stopped making Magicubes a while back but you can still find old stock for sale if you look. The camera will need a battery to fire the thing and that might pose a problem. Some of the special batteries used are no longer available.

I don't quite see a place for batteries on the x-15 - am I missing something?

Yeah, it looks like I might have to find everything online or definitely do some hunting in my area.

March 07 was the last production run Solaris 126, the supply should last about 3 years, any mini-lab should be able to process the film, but my will not want too because of unfamiliar will now to handle it.

i also have an x-15 and for this specific model there is no battery. luckily because as said before no one is making them.

the film can easily be found at filmforclassics.com but is super pricey! there may be others but that is where my local shop told me to go.

i haven't taken any shots as i don't exactly want to spend almost 10 bucks a roll and almostdouble to have it developed(all according to their site). so if you do take any and have them developed, please post up!!!!

no battery need

The X-15 used a striker pin that went up into the flash and set it off.

The ones that do use a battery, have a "K" battery, which I haven't seen in about 15 years. Maybe it's the higher price versions that have electronic shutters. If it has a standard cube flash, it's going to have a battery to fire the flash, at the very least. So I'd look closer at other models.

You can still find 126 film at the dollar stores now and then.

There's always eBay. Super Cubes Flash Cube Squares case of 36 cubes $12.50 + $5 shipping

Unlike Kodak disk film cameras which are really obsolete, and you can't find anything for them.

While we're talking Kodak. The instant picture cameras are toast. You will find many without the name plate. The reason is that Kodak lost a technology infringement lawsuit to Polaroid and to get your refund you have to peel off the name plate and return it with the claim form.

<< ropes mike and drags him back.....

So what so "off the wall" with Leica???

still use 35mm negatives....
relatively easy focusing rangefinders....
still in production....
they even make a digital Leica M8...

With so much "stuff" out there to buy spending $3k on a 35mm range finder setup is a bit to the side of the bell curve don't you think?

Why not just get a Hasselblad? For instance this one has a factory conversion to AA batteries and a 70mm back.. well here... 150 LENS,A-12,POLA&70MM BACKS,PME5,FLASH,FILM,TOTAL KIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/HASSELBLAD-500-...41QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3351QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

for $2850. But it's not a Leica.

Don't get me wrong, Leicas are nice but not I think worth the price.

My 2 cents worth and mine alone,

mike

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not arguing pro nor anti - Leica.. nor am I stating whether it is worth the money.

I'm simply asking why is it considered "off the wall"? If I see a Leica shooter.. I'm like cool ... or wow thats nice. If I see some rare vintage box that uses silvered glass, now thats off the wall.

Ahhh, I see. The winky-smilie thing means that I was kidding. Leicas are wonderful -if over priced-cameras. Of the wall simply means "sparsely populated territory".

mike

Ah ok...

Btw... With B&H, Adorama, Photovillage, tamarkin, Bergencountycamera... and several other Leica dealers in NYC, seeing a Leica in the area isn't so unusual.

Do I have to take the 126 film to a professional lab for developing or can Sav-On still do it?

From the place that still develops Kodachrome:

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/disc-126-film.html

The price doesn't seem bad either, $9 to process, plus the per-print cost, which is also competitive. Now you can get one of these:

http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~ifex534/cameras/contaflex126.html

Note that he will process 126 in C41, b&w, Ektachrome and Kodachrome. Kodachrome 126? Dwayne is God! :hail:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back