Kodak?

terri said:
When the day comes that Kodak HIE (35 mm infrared film) is no longer made, part of me that loves photography will wither up and die... :cry:

Some of my favorite images are from that film. I'm smitten with it.
Fortunately for you, I'm sure your film is going nowhere. ever....
The specialty films will always have a market.

terri said:
When the day comes that Kodak HIE (35 mm infrared film) is no longer made,

Don't worry Terri, if Kodak drops it, someone else will pick it up. Are you familiar with Maco film? I don't know much about them, but they seem to be specializing in reviving discontinued films, including IR.

terri said:
When the day comes that Kodak HIE (35 mm infrared film) is no longer made, part of me that loves photography will wither up and die... :cry:

Some of my favorite images are from that film. I'm smitten with it.

Just wondering what people use infered film for. Other than taking pics of girls in some types of clothing. Just wondering if it has a real use or just a voyeur one. :0).

That use for infrared is around... but yes, plenty of photographers use it for landscape and sometimes portraits. Or to have some fun with the remote controls.

Well, it's used for aerial photography a lot, as it cuts through haze, and that's how I found out about it. My husband is an aerial photographer by trade so we've used it a lot over the years. (Though he favors Konica for MF.) But HIE is for 35mm and IMO is less harsh looking than Konica, with a finer grain, and it offers greater ISO versatility. I shoot it around 360 ISO, and one of our posters (Motcon - Will) shoots it a lot for portraits at 100, and his stuff is jaw-droppingly beautiful.

A jamming little film, all in all, for all its hassles. I am encouraged by these comments, that you guys seem to think it will be around awhile.

Matt, no, I've never heard of Maco film. Is it true IR like HIE?? I'm intrigued.

terri said:
Well, it's used for aerial photography a lot, as it cuts through haze, and that's how I found out about it. My husband is an aerial photographer by trade so we've used it a lot over the years. (Though he favors Konica for MF.) But HIE is for 35mm and IMO is less harsh looking than Konica, with a finer grain, and it offers greater ISO versatility. I shoot it around 360 ISO, and one of our posters (Motcon - Will) shoots it a lot for portraits at 100, and his stuff is jaw-droppingly beautiful.

A jamming little film, all in all, for all its hassles. I am encouraged by these comments, that you guys seem to think it will be around awhile.

Matt, no, I've never heard of Maco film. Is it true IR like HIE?? I'm intrigued.

Woudlnt the infrared film look different than regular film of the ariel shots? Or can you modify it so it looks normal? got any examples? :0).

Other than its habit of turning your foliage white, from the air I think it will look pretty much like most B&W. I frankly don't know if they use filters on their aerial cameras for commercial work. From the ground it also turns foliage white (with appropriate red filter, typically #25 for HIE) and turns blue skies black, which can look dramatic with lots of cloud action.

hmmm, Gerry, an example of Georgia DOT IR aerial photography...? :scratch: I'll see if I can snag an image. I warn you, though: Georgia looks quite dull from the air. :wink: Bunch of pine trees, or some nasty road project blazing through them. :wink: I'll see what I can do.

IR photography is different from photographer to photographer. This may explain why IR film doesn't come with instructions. For instance, Terri posted that she finds the Kodak to be less harsh and finer grained than Konica, while my results are the exact opposite. I get much more grain and contrast out of the Kodak than the Konica. I prefer the Konica overall, although I use the Kodak if I need more speed.

I know of Maco, but I don’t know it they have an IR film, their site seem not to be working for me to night, www.mahn.net , can across them because they along with Efke are the only companies that mass-produce 127 films

Post of the beast. I found it strangely amusing myself. :D
Everyone's comments are well thought out! The only view I didn't read was that of the Kodak employee or Rochester NY citizen. Further investigation may be needed on my end.

For instance, Terri posted that she finds the Kodak to be less harsh and finer grained than Konica, while my results are the exact opposite. I get much more grain and contrast out of the Kodak than the Konica.

Matt, don't forget a lot of your end result can be how you process this stuff, too. I've had it developed with TMax and gotten smooth lovely results with very fine grain. We also tried D-19 when we really wanted to enhance the grain, with very cool results - when we were after grain and increased contrast. Konica is also MF film so your enlargement factor is much smaller for say, an 8x10 as opposed to 35mm. Konica is my hubby's preference, too, btw, I've heard him say it has a great tight grain structure. BUT - he is smitten with TMax developer and HIE at room temperature for smooth results with HIE. :D

I was only comparing 35mm format Konica IR to the Kodak. There is no comparison, IMHO, between MF and 35mm in any film. I use D76 1:1 with both, and the Kodak is much grainier for me. But I was just trying to point out that different folks do get very different results from IR, and the only way to figure out how it's going to work is to experiment and take notes.

Yeah...of course I know you knew all that already. :wink: As a matter of fact, my husband is more challenged getting results with the Konica he's as happy with as he is with the HIE. I don't believe he's used D76 with the HIE, but I could be wrong. So, this is your ratio for Konica? I think I'll tell him, I'm pretty sure he's used that, as well, but I don't know his ratios.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back