Kodak?

There was no application for digital photographs in 1990, as hardly anyone had personal computers back then.
What. The. WHAT ???????

Personal computers came up at the end of the 1970s/early 1980s.

In the 1990s, everyone had one. Heck, even I had a 386, and I was a poor student back then.

At the end of the 1990s, Netscape and the internet aka World Wide Web gained speed.

In the late 90s, yes, but not in 1991! Very few people had them. Not until the internet was widely available did digital photography have any utility.
Interesting.
Your computer today did not exist back then.

But we certainly had personal computers back then
The commodore PET, Radio Shack TR-80, Apple ][+, //e, original IBM PC (and the onslaught of many clones), the original MacIntoshes and many others were widely available back in the 1980s, much less the 1990s. IBM tried to steal back the PC design with their MCA bus in the late 80's only to loose more market share.

My first digital camera was a Kodak DC50 which connected to the computer I had back then which was a PC clone 8086 w/turbo mode.

But as with Digital cameras, the full sized PC was more expensive when initially released. Matter of fact a IBM PC with dual SS floppy disc drives and monochrome monitor cost mutiples of a lower cost laptop nowadays when it first came out. It was the same with the initial digital cameras.

I guess it all depends upon your definition of "very few people had them"
Just like you can say very few people had smart phones 10 years ago because the product was in it's infancy with Palm dominating the market.

Back in the mid 80's at the University we had the Merit Internet (not WorldWideWeb) as we could communicate to schools (and gov't agencies) around the world.

of course, it wasn't until Al Gore came around and invented everything that we got to where we are today :) LOL

Precisely: There was almost no market for digital cameras back then (early 90s).

Might be because nobody wanted a camera with only a megapixel or so and costing 5 figures..... The Nikon D1 was less than 3 MP and cost almost 6 grand, at the end of the decade! My dad's Sony was VGA resolution (640 x 480) and stored images on a 3.5" floppy, also very late 90s.

It wasn't that there was no market for digital cameras in the early 90s, there simply were no useful digital cameras in the early 90s. You can't have a market for something that simply doesn't exist.....

I once had a camera that used floppy discs for storage. Can't remember who made it but it had like a 2 hour battery life. It got stolen out of my car, a smash and grap at a 7-11. Didn't even have it a week. Seem to recall, I paid pretty good money for it. My insurance covered it. Heck, I still had the receipt in my wallet.

I once had a camera that used floppy discs for storage. Can't remember who made it but it had like a 2 hour battery life. It got stolen out of my car, a smash and grap at a 7-11. Didn't even have it a week. Seem to recall, I paid pretty good money for it. My insurance covered it. Heck, I still had the receipt in my wallet.
Sony Mavica ?

I nearly bought one of those .. nearly.

Sony Mavica ?

Yes sir. Just looked it up, that was it. Never replaced it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sony Mavica ?

Yes!!!!! The school that I was teaching at bought one. Had to go to the library to book it out.
Man - that brings back a whole bunch of memories!

I brought a 286 with SVGA graphics for home use in the early 90s (and had a 80186 IBM coprocessor to run IBM software before getting the 286).
I even remember buying a shareware floppy with a digital photo on it (the image was called 'Lush' and showed a botanical garden somewhere).

Graphics were definitely limited back then, the PC at work had EGA graphics - IIRC limited to 16 colours. Even the Super VGA cards were often limited to 256 colours at 1068*768.

Several of my current images wouldn't fit on my early hard drives either (I think my first HDDs were 10MB, 40MB & 100MB). this would have been a major restriction on the popularity of digital photos at the time :)
You and Astro would love the book Terrible Nerd by Kevin Savetz. Awesome book, easy read, and brings back all those memory's.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back