Kodak's new Super 8 Camera

Interesting. So it has a digital display, but records on 8mm film....?

i wonder why Kodak went belly up...

Have no idea what they are thinking. The video almost looks like a joke, like at the end they will say "just kidding".

I did a lot of Super 8 in film-making courses in the early 70's. Had to have good lighting, had to do a lot of cutting and splicing (I don't see Kodak selling those machines) and then need to project it (don't see Kodak selling projectors). Or, the film is scanned when you have it developed so it can all be edited digitally. In that that case I would rather shoot digital to start with.

One thing I like about it... it keeps film photography relevant and embracing their original culture. When you buy the film, you pay for the processing as well, so you get the film back plus a digital media copy. In regards to the digital copy, I am curious as to the format. I would like to see a medium format camera but I would think it hinges on the success of this camera hybrid.

I bought one their original All in One printers back in the day and it was, to this day, the best consumer printer as far as quality of print that I have ever used. I had it for about two years and just loved it but then the wife approved a printer firmware update and it botched the thing. I was so pissed and Kodak did not stand behind it and I never bought another one. That firmware update was a common issue, pages and pages of forum posts on it. It was a slick printer and ink was economical compared to other brands.

On a business perspective, it really makes no sense considering their past financial issues and do not see how this would make them more profitable.

Ah Kodak. To little, to late and wrong direction. On the other hand, how is doing Ferrania with super 8 film production ?

I think a lot of people will be interested in doing video with super 8. My question is aside from the digital viewfinder on this new camera why should I spend lots of money on this new one instead of using a older super 8 camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think its neat but have zero interest in shooting video. Hopefully people will embrace it and allow Kodak to make some money for once

Kodak's movie film production is still strong (Kodak and Hollywood finalize deals to save movie film) so perhaps they are playing on their strengths to create a small consumer market for movie film. Perhaps this is just Kodak trying to jump on the nostalgia bandwagon and take advantage of it while it lasts, OR it might be aimed more at markets like film students/schools and amateur film-makers. It's obviously NOT for your average consumer who is taking videos on their iPhones or even DLRS, but for video enthusiasts, whomever they may be, might be interested in this product.

I'm not particularly interested in video either, and if I do decide to play with it, I've still got an original Super 8 camera and projector (even have the tape recorder to do sound as well), but it's still interesting to see what happens with this.

I think a lot of people will be interested in doing video with super 8. My question is aside from the digital viewfinder on this new camera why should I spend lots of money on this new one instead of using a older super 8 camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be wrong but didn't the original not have sound? I suppose it won't appeal to people who develop their own film? Good for students getting into the film industry. Wasn't that new Star Wars film shot on Kodak film? I am not into movies either so I won't be buying one but hoping it will spark a cool medium or 35mm slr/digital format camera. I guess time will tell at is success.

Streamlining the production of Kodak's still photography films and lowering their price to some reasonable levels, in one word directing the attention on the remaining segment of film photographers, would do more good. IMO

Have no idea what they are thinking. The video almost looks like a joke, like at the end they will say "just kidding".
Shall we assume that the preliminary model of the thing is just for grins and giggles as well. That thing is seriously ugly. And huge compared to a digital video camera.

Braineack said:
i wonder why Kodak went belly up...

There were multiple reasons Kodak lost its shorts...trying to dictate, "How things are gonnna' be!" to huge markets, rather than listening to customer issues, complaints, and desires; trying to literally CREATE entire, brand-new market segments out of thin air, based on corporate hubris, and then having those efforts cost hundreds of millions of dollars and having the efforts fail in spectacular fashion; the massive lawsuit loss to Polaroid over instant film and instant cameramanufacturing; Kodak's utter refusal to address the importation and distribution of FujiFilm film products for a decade; Kodak's refusal to understand that DIGITAL imaging meant digital cameras, until it was too late; stockpiling and hoarding hundreds of patents, and doing NOTHING with the patents for years; and more!

I've read that Kodak was at one time the largest non-military industrial employer in the USA...they sure as heck have lost that title!

This new Super 8 movie camera initiative is, according to the guy in the promo video, aimed in large part at film students and filmmaking departments. Going after university film school students seems like a long-term strategy on Kodak's part, but I have to wonder if it will bear much fruit. It will take at least a decade before any film school grads are in position to decide to make big-budget blockbuster films that are shot on film, and even then, that would not be much film sold. Kodak's long-time business in 35mm film, that of making film stock for theater prints is almost dead now: theaters have already transitioned to digital projection, so the market for making individual theatrical feature film prints is pretty much almost totally dead now.

This new camera has a VERY distinctive design ethos! It looks VERY different from any older cine camera designs that I've ever seen...so that will probably separate it, mentally, from older, 1970's-era Super 8 cameras. One thing missing from the video: I read that this camera would have a digital viewfinder AND would create a digital copy of the footage it shot. Of course, mentioning that, that it would be a hybrid digital/film capture device, would be a bit contrary to the sis-boom-bah! we shot this on film! cheers...

I dunno...this sounds like as good an idea as the Kodak instant film camera system...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back