Konica Minolta 5D

meg27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mojocreative.co.uk
Hi guys,
About a month ago i went out to buy myself a DSLR. Now, i'd done my research, kinda, and the only two cameras anyone seemed to have or care for are canon rebles or the nikon version (i'm no good with remembering numbers but you know which ones i'm talking about, the two main contendors it seems.)

I have a local camera shop, who i always use, they are all fanatics and you know they know what they are talking about. I said i wanted to see the canon and the Nikon, but they urged me to look at this new Konica Minolta. At first i wasn't keen, i wanted the rebel, but didn't like the feel of it in my hand, it felt cheap, although it had more pixels, it had a poor kit lens. The nikon didn't seem great either. The Konica Minolta seemed really, to be allround a better camera, great lens, great price, good feel to it, biggest LCD.... but i kept saying to my other half, i don't know any one who has it!

I was worried, none of you guys have ever mentioned it! I wanted to come and consult with you lot then, but my other half was determind he wanted this one (it is kind of his really!) so in the end, after going to at least five other shops who all recommended the Konica, we bought it. With a fab extra lens, memory card, tripod and bag all for a great price.

So i was over the moon with my new gear, and really wanted to come ask you guys what you thought of the camera. But i couldn't do it! I'd just spent £700 and didn't want to be told i had bought a crap camera! So i have remained silent intill now... because now i can safely tell you that it is absolutely amazing!!!
I love it.
So now you can come at me and say all you want, because i love it, and i don't care!
Anyway, to the actual question.... Does anyone else have this camera? Why is it never mentioned? What do you think of it??
Only thing i would say is that the large LCD makes the image pretty pixelated, but i barely use it anyway, just to check composition, so i don't mind at all.
What do you guys think?

I think I'd prefer it over the Rebel XT and the D50 (if megapixels isn't all about you care). a cam must have a good feel in my hand, and the 5D had it. I'd say go for it, you can't do wrong. (let's hear all canon and nikon enthusiasts now :mrgreen:).

no really, great cam IMO.

ive bounced back and forth between the nikon and canon for months on end, and in the end i ended up the the 7d(i wanted a little nicer body, and a battery grip) and i have zero regrets! i love the camera! good buy!

I have it and love it. The only thing that upsets me is the lack of an available vertical grip. I don't care if it has all of the fancy controls on the grip, I just want the shutter release.

I hate that the 4 chain camera stores and 1 high end electronics store in the area does not and will not carry KM accessories. So that leaves me ordering my remote release and other stuff from the internet.

I can get Nikon and Cannon stuff but not KM.

As for the quality of the images, it is right on the money. The LCD is large and does not have a custom screen protector like other cameras. I simply cut my own from a sheet made for point and shoot LCD protectors.

I picked up a 3600 flash unit. I then added a Photojournalist II Lightsphere to it. That combination is ok. The 5600 would have been a better choice but I get great results.

All in all it is an excellent camera. I have had it 2 months and already have over 5,000 pictures with it.

Doc

I have the 7D and simply LOVE it. The 5D is no slouch either, it just wasn't out when I bought the 7D. There are almost as many reasons to buy one brand as there are another, but you should go with the feel and how comfortable you are with it. You picked a great camera and it sounds like you got a great deal. I'm sure you will continue to love as we all love ours.

P.S. usndoc- there is an available vertical grip.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wc...1&productId=13193445&bct=t1003;c1020;c1083176

Kelox,

Will that grip work on the 5D? I was under the impression from the research I had done that it will not work. There is several control components inside the 7D battery compartment that the 5D does not have.

Please advise. I thought I had found a 5D grip a few weeks ago. I did not have the money at the time and did not get it. I went back now that I have the money and it is gone from the site. And it was from Ritz Camera at that.

Thanks,

Doc

Most reactions

New Topics

Back