ksmattfish's camera collection

Jeff Canes said:
If you don’t mind me asking that did you pay,

500CM body w/ brighter focusing screen
80mm f/2.8 Planar *T
metered prism
A12 back

All for about $850. Not a super bargin, but not too bad; that metered prism raised the price. The seller is the original owner and still has almost all the boxes and manuals, etc...

gecko said:
good to see a healthy collection of pentax equipment :)

Yeah, I'm a big fan, at least of their mechanical cameras. I love the old Super Takumar screw mount lenses. I love the P67 system (and my P67II). Love the K1000.

ksmattfish said:
Jeff Canes said:
If you don’t mind me asking that did you pay,

500CM body w/ brighter focusing screen

A well worn but useable 500CM will sell for about 400.

80mm f/2.8 Planar *T

A T* 80 will go for 300-500.

metered prism

That's another 200-300!

A12 back

And yet another 200-500, depending on the type and condition.

All for about $850. Not a super bargin, but not too bad; that metered prism raised the price. The seller is the original owner and still has almost all the boxes and manuals, etc...

Well buddy, you're wrong! That's a killer bargain!! :lol: Especially since you bought all of that in good condition!

Congrats by the way and never forget to wind up always after shooting a picture, so you can replace the lens if you want. :lol:

Can we see the 'baby'?? :wink:

Hasselblad and other MF prices have drop a lot in the late few years, that about the same equipment I got for 600 less that I paid

I've seen the same set-up minus the metered prism (WL finder instead) go for as low as $650 on Ebay. There is a lot of Hassy stuff on the used market these days. The less common stuff still commands a high price, but the common stuff has dropped in price pretty good.

Anyone interested in a super deal on a medium format SLR should check out Bronica. That stuff is getting way cheap these days.

Matt, It bugs me what I paid and how fast the priced drop after I got my 500CM

This is package I got 4 years ago
500CM
80mm f/2.8 Planar *T
WL finder
A24 back

Just my 2 cents here:

From the sound of what Matt describes the Hassy to be, its condition is far better than any of the E-bay items. Probably about the same quality as the Hasselblads sold at Adorama for a higher (and closer to reality) prices. Not everything is a bargain on Ebay. When I bought my Distagon 50mm I paid slightly over $300 for what was advertised as a good glass, perfect mechanically piece of lens. Turned out to be good glass but screwed up mechanically. The guy that sold it to me paid the $150 to have it CLA'd, an honorable seller, yes, I got lucky. Now the lens is in excellent condition. So, I learned that even if prices drop on E-bay, they don't always reflect the condition of the items sold. Do we get lucky sometimes? Heck, yes. But generally speaking, you get what you pay for. I still think that around 800 bucks is a great smokin' deal for all the equipment Matt got.

About Bronica. Yes, it is a bargain camera! I used to shoot with a S2A and had the 80mm and the 150mm (I think...). Very solid, well made. The only things I didn't care for, very heavy and shutter was making a heck of a noise. However, it's the ideal 6x6 SLR for a starter in that field.

I bought the Hassy on Ebay. I've gotten lot's of great deals on really nice equipment. I bought my Pentax 67II for $900 4 years ago, and it was a brand new store demo model with only a scuff on the rewind lever. I believe that Ebay prices for it have just now started to dip below $900. I just look for lot's of good seller feedback, an obvious knowledge of cameras in the description (or in the seller's other items), and a return policy. I've bought almost 40 items on Ebay over the last 6 or 7 years, and never had a problem with a single one.

I always check KEH and MPEX prices before I bid, and if they are even close (within 25%) then I'll go with them; it's worth the extra $$$ for their great reputation. On the other hand I despise Adorama, and they would have to be 50% cheaper than anybody else to bother dealing with them.

my k1000 that cost me 200 now goes for like 70 bucks

Nice used K1000s used to be in every pawn shop and camera store for $50 to $100, and then they became very trendy, and jumped to $200+. When I worked at the camera store I had a student customer come in and was shocked to find we had used K1000s for around $90; she had just bought a similar condition model across town for $250!! I love the K1000, and I would even like to add a few more to my collection, but I can't bring myself to spend much more than $60 or so.

A super duper deal on a 35mm SLR is Ricoh. High quality, Pentax K mount lenses, and "uncool" as photog fashion goes means they can be snatched up for $15 to $30. A Ricoh KR-5 was my very first 35mm SLR. It's very similar to the K1000.

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post besides my 'Hi, I'm new to the neighbourhood, I made fresh cookies!' post. My husband's father passed away a few years ago, and recently we were given a box of his things including several old cameras. But now I'm afraid to open the box and see what they are, in case there are collector bugs in there. I don't want to get bitten and end up like Scott!!! :wink: When I get up the courage to open the box I will list what my new mini-collection (My sis-in-law said she thinks there are 5 or 6 in there) is.

-dj

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post besides my 'Hi, I'm new to the neighbourhood, I made fresh cookies!' post. My husband's father passed away a few years ago, and recently we were given a box of his things including several old cameras. But now I'm afraid to open the box and see what they are, in case there are collector bugs in there. I don't want to get bitten and end up like Scott!!! :wink: When I get up the courage to open the box I will list what my new mini-collection (My sis-in-law said she thinks there are 5 or 6 in there) is.

-dj

Sounds like a great bargain for a great kit.

"Matt, It bugs me what I paid and how fast the priced drop after I got my 500CM"

The same grumble crossed my mind too. Yet tho' I use large format now, I won't let my medium format kit go......and regret it 10 years later when I'll be trying to buy it back.

Added a used lens to the collection. Zeiss Sonnar f/4 150mm for the Hasselblad 500c/m.

Also picked up a new Olympus Stylus Epic (no zoom). It'll be my third Epic. I lost the first one, and broke the second one. Third time is a charm, I hope. It's my favorite inexpensive point-n-shoot. I keep it in my coat pocket loaded with Tri-X; I put new DX code labels on the casettes to get the camera to expose at ISO 800 or 1600, and I'm developing in Diafine.

So Matt, how are you enjoying the Hassy 500? I see so many of them on eBay these days, and a few 501s, and there is still a huge difference in price between these 2 models. What are the main differences, do you know? And are those differences really worth the extra several hundred dollars?

I also wonder if I could ever get used to shooting nothing but 6x6. Does the 500 have a 6.45 back available? I've never seen one out there, and am curious. I don't know if it's just my MF inexperience or if I really have some weird aversion to seeing square! ;)

Most reactions

Back