L/F good camera for a starter

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by emo, Aug 11, 2004.

1. emo

emo TPF Noob!

hi there!! i'm a newbie here.. what camera can you recomend for me who wants to learn much in photography..

2. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think this is in the wrong forum,...but Ill post anyways.

It depends entirely on how much you wanna spend...but I suggest a camera like mine, a Nikon F55.

Either that or you can try and get a £100 one with no auto focus or anything....

3. emo

emo TPF Noob!

thanks for your reply.. i hope that this thread will be move to the right plce..

4. talonop

talonop TPF Noob!

If you go the Nikon route, I recommend an N75/F75, or if you have a little more to spend, a N80/F80. You can get a new Nikon N75 for around 250 bucks, and that includes a Nikon 28-80mm lens.

5. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

Usual advice; get a good manual slr to begin with. My preference is with Canon as that's what I started with and have stayed with. Canon's AE1 or AT1 are both good choices. You can pick up a decent used camera and lense for about $60 and when you ready to upgrade, keep the old one for a backup or sell it and get your money back! Starting with a fully manual camera is the best way to learn basic principals.

6. emo

emo TPF Noob!

that is what i'm thinking, i'll start w/ manual camera. but i like posting pictures in the net, i'll be needing a scanner and its a hassle

7. Sash[DSL]

Sash[DSL] TPF Noob!

you can have the photolab that develops your photos scan them to a CD

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I second the recommendation to start out on the older manual focus cameras. At least until you've developed the basics and determine whether or not the investment of $$$s is worth it for the newer autofocus everything slrs. This is especially true on a budget as lenses are far cheaper that the autos. Your initial investment "shouldn't" be much more than $100 bucks. simi auto exposure models from the early 70s are also very nice and convenient with shutter/aperature priority settings. Some camera's that I have heard recommendations ...

Canon AE-1, A-1.
    Pentax K1000, Spotmatics
    Nikon FG, FG-20, and although more expensive FE series.

Highly recommend finding a camera show if there are any in your area. Talk, learn, chit chat, and deal.

I'm liking my spotmatics and their m42 lenses from various makers. Just bought a 28mm f2.8 for $5 at a camera show. I also like my Pentax Kmount ME SE but it only operates in aperature priority with +-2x exposure compensation.