Lack of faith in NIKON products!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MopsterUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I am new to this site and the clientele that use it.

First of all I know that to a set of people my thread title would be very provocative. I'll set out my current situation and what i'd like possible advice or discussion on. I started out my hobby of photography with a d3100 and kit lens. Over the years I've invested primary in glass (with the view that in the future I would most likely go to a full frame body) and then up to the D7000. I planned on keeping my d7000 as a back up for when I eventually needed or desired to go to a full frame camera. However, I am at the stage where I could do with a second body. My first thought was ahhh go with a second d7000 or wait (as there is no do or die need to own it straight away) for a d7100 or d8000 which is likely to come out within this year.

So what is the issue at hand as everything here looks like I'm pretty figured out on what I feel I need and want, as well as how I wish to progress.

Since owning my D7000 I noticed that images were not as sharp as images with my d3100. However, as every now and then I'd get a good shot I just initially assumed it was the user behind the camera rather than the camera itself. As I grew more and more concerned I started reading up on focusing and running several test. I noticed much beloved d7000 was back focusing. I braced myself for the worse as I sent it back to Nikon for repair. it came back with a suggested recognition and fix to my problem. However, the problem was not fixed. On returning the camera to Nikon for further repair I got a response saying unable to recreate the problem. However, I know it exist.

This situation left me with a lack of faith in the current stock of Nikon bodies out there and with future releases. I accept any camera can have a problem but it's the issue of poor after care to resolve the problem. This has lead me to re-evaluate my plans.

As I said I wanted a second body. What is the point of getting a second body if I feel I may be in a similar position. My ideas on upgrading to a Nikon full frame is also now feeling shabby. The d800 is too much for what I want. The d600 is two similar to the d7000 to warrant my interest (IMO). The d700, well I've not looked to much into it but essentially I'd like to move forward with technology. So I feel that there is no full frame Nikon that is suitable for my needs/deserve at the moment.

I'm now at a point where I'm considering jumping ship to cannon and going with a full frame option there. This isn't the ideal thing as I'd prefer to stay with Nikon as I've invested time and money into my hobby with Nikon. Additionally, from what I've used (albeit brief) I wasn't overtly found of the ergonomics of Canon.

So there is my situation. I might end up cutting of my nose to spite my face. What do you good people make of this situation? Advice and discussion welcomed.

N.B. Firstly, I'll just add this here, I don't want this really to turn into a discussion of fanboy vs fanboy from either Canon or Nikon camps. That sort of argument doesn't interest me. Secondly, I'm not looking for anyone to try and search a) if my problem exist or b) recommend ways to resolve my back focusing problems on the d7000.

You didn't list what glass you had been using on the D7000! Some 3rd party lenses have a long history of back / front focusing.

Please let us know what lenses you have .... and what lenses you see this issue with most.

Please read my post fully and properly. I admit many people may make mistakes, or admittance with their post (I do this a lot).However, please reread and take particular care at reading the NB section at the bottom. You'll understand why I have not mentioned my glass. It is an unnecessary to my post.

Please read my post fully and properly. I admit many people may make mistakes, or admittance with their post (I do this a lot).However, please reread and take particular care at reading the NB section at the bottom. You'll understand why I have not mentioned my glass. It is an unnecessary to my post.

We will have to agree to disagree on that.. many (even most) backfocusing are due to the lenses. Since your post about a lack of faith in Nikon is based on the backfocusing issues you claim to have happened, than the backfocusing is a central issue... whether you want to discuss it or not.

Without having all of the facts, and pertinent data... how can we possibly discuss this?

That is like saying HONDA is bad because you got a flat tire on a Honda... but won't tell us what condition the tires were in when it happened,or if you ran over something sharp! How would that be the fault of Honda?

I will just step aside and let others discuss this... since I refuse to comment without needed information. Probably best.....

Why is it needed information? At what point have I asked to discuss back focusing? to what extent do I talk about back focusing or in anyway my desire to talk about back focusing? Have I gone to any lengths in my post to specifically state that I do not intend, desire, or wish to talk about back focusing?

We will have to agree to disagree on that.. many (even most) backfocusing are due to the lenses. Since your post about a lack of faith in Nikon is based on the backfocusing issues you claim to have happened, than the backfocusing is a central issue... whether you want to discuss it or not.

Without having all of the facts, and pertinent data... how can we possibly discuss this?

That is like saying HONDA is bad because you got a flat tire on a Honda... but won't tell us what condition the tires were in when it happened,or if you ran over something sharp! How would that be the fault of Honda?

My lack of faith has clearly been stated as a result of Nikons inability to resolve a problem. The problem so happens to be back focusing. It gives the subject some context. Your analogy isn't really applicable here is it? think about it. Read the post. Read the essence of the post. If you like I can state the essence.

I'm guessing another troll.

So you have tested a few diffrent lenses and your sure the problem lies with the camera and not the glass itself?

With out going into detail and a needless amount of repeating. The answer is 'YES', I know there is a problem with my camera and not anything else.

Just to repeat 'I'm not in need of anyone to help me localize or analyse if I have a back focusing problem or not.'

But thank you for your contribution.

I'm guessing another troll.

How so? I've put a lot of effort into my original post. The least someone could do is read it properly before replying.

In essence the post is about Nikon and their products. The lack of choice for me in moving to full frame. A lack of faith in their abilities to resolve issues. At no point did I post... Could someone please tell me if I have a back issuing problem? In fact in the NB it says please don't post. However, you'll always get people that want to talk about back focusing.

How so? I've put a lot of effort into my original post. The least someone could do is read it properly before replying.

In essence the post is about Nikon and their products. The lack of choice for me in moving to full frame. A lack of faith in their abilities to resolve issues. At no point did I post... Could someone please tell me if I have a back issuing problem? In fact in the NB it says please don't post. However, you'll always get people that want to talk about back focusing.

But you missed out what lenses you are using, if you have Sigma they are well know for focus problems

But you missed out what lenses you are using, if you have Sigma they are well know for focus problems

lol, this is almost pointless. I also have not stated what lighting conditions I shoot in. Neither have I stated if I use hand held, tripod or shutter release. Furthermore, I haven't stated what apeture or what type of AF systems I'm using with the mystery subjects that I am shooting. All of which are relevant for back focusing. The reason for this is that I'm not trying to discuss if I have a back focusing issue or not. Back focusing is irreverent to this discussion.

Please Read this in conjunction with the OP.

N.B. Firstly, I'll just add this here, I don't want this really to turn into a discussion of fanboy vs fanboy from either Canon or Nikon camps. That sort of argument doesn't interest me. Secondly, I'm not looking for anyone to try and search a) if my problem exist or b) recommend ways to resolve my back focusing problems on the d7000.

Last edited:
"Advice and discussion welcomed."

Seriously?

yes 'advice and discussion welcomed' pertaining to the thread. If I said in my original post 'please help me I'm not sure i have a back focusing problem or not' or 'I'm not sure if I have a back focusing problem. What do you guys think?' then yes I can understand the replies. However, that wasn't the case. I'm starting to think that less in my OP would have been more. Yet, I'd still have people asking 'what problem has caused you to lose faith in Nikon?'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back