Lack of High Speed Sync?

ecphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
About a year ago I switched from Canon to Nikon. Don't get me wrong I immediately fell in love with the ergonomics, button layout and the menu with my D3200. One thing that I didn't find out until I purchased a external flash was the lack of HSS. When I shot Canon it was just built in even with my low end T3i lol. It was entirely my fault for not checking the detailed specs prior to purchasing.

Here's the thing...I'm looking to get a second and slightly better body. I was looking at the D7100 and the X-sync speed is only 1/250-1/320. Why is there such a lack of support for high speed sync, does Nikon only have it on the high end models?

All the D7x00 have high speed sync, as long as you have a compatible flash unit.
Nikon calls it Auto FP high speed sync.
See the page notes on page 244 of the D7100 user manual.

None of Nikon's 'baby Nikon's - D40, D40x, D60, D3x00, or D5x00 have Auto FP sync.

However, the D40, D40x, D50, D70 and D70x have an x-sync speed of 1/500 with dedicated flash units, and can sync up to the max shutter speed 1/4000 with non-dedicated flash units.

Last edited:
Is a cute feature but really, serious shooters rarely use it for the trade is a diminished output.

Is a cute feature but really, serious shooters rarely use it for the trade is a diminished output.

I wouldn't go that far lol. Many folks here use it. Including myself. I would say that every feature/tool has its place and is used when needed. And OP- maybe it's on higher models since those are more advanced features for shooters who tend to use more advanced bodies for more serious shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, point taken, let me rephrase, many use iso and apertures that allow slow enough shuters. ND filters even.

Ok, point taken, let me rephrase, many use iso and apertures that allow slow enough shuters. ND filters even.
I'd admit- I own ND filters but have only used it when I needed to overpower the sun . I have only used high speed sync for fill flash. I haven't personally used HSS to overpower the sun. All these new strobes offering it are nice though

The 1/250 or 1/320 denotes the speed used if the flash is not capable of high-speed sync. If the flash is capable, it will sync all the way to 1/8000.

Say you're shooting Aperture-priority with an attached SB-700, you've selected Auto-FP 1/250 in the menu, and the metered shutter speed is 1/2000. That flash is capable of HSS so your shutter WILL go to 1/2000 and the flash will fill the frame, no dark band.

Now say you're in the same situation but with an SB-400 flash unit, or just the built-in flash. The metering says 1/2000 for the shutter, but your flash is not HSS-capable. The camera will shoot at 1/250, resulting in an overexposed image.

Auto-FP means high-speed-sync, but the number (1/250 or 1/320) is the fastest shutter available without an HSS-capable flash.

All the D7x00 have high speed sync, as long as you have a compatible flash unit.

None of Nikon's 'baby Nikon's - D40, D40x, D60, D3x00, or D5x00 have Auto FP sync.

However, the D40, D40x, D50, D70 and D70x have an x-sync speed of 1/500 with dedicated flash units, and can sync up to the max shutter speed 1/4000 with non-dedicated flash units.
I'll check that out. I had checked the tech specs on Adorama and it listed those speeds.

I wouldn't go that far lol. Many folks here use it. Including myself. I would say that every feature/tool has its place and is used when needed. And OP- maybe it's on higher models since those are more advanced features for shooters who tend to use more advanced bodies for more serious shooting.

I find the need for the increased shutter speeds when shooting portraits. I can change my aperature to compensate for the shutter, but if my desired look is to have some bokeh the f11 ore more isnt going to work.

With the output of HSS being so diminished, I'm surprised you're able to make much use of it outdoors if you'd otherwise need to shoot at f/11 and 1/250sec.

unles you're like this guy: http://catchlight-studios.typepad.com/.a/6a010534bff638970c017ee40aa7e4970d-800wi

Canon 600RT Speedlights (instead of his usual Quantum flashes) in order to get the benefit of High Speed Synch (HSS). The latter allowed him to blur the backgound with small apertures, which of course necessitated the use of higher shutter speeds. Because HSS causes a loss of flash power, he needed to use 3 flash units to get enough light on to our model. In the example below, David was demonstrating how these flashes could be used to provide the main light and some fill light simultaneously! Here, one of the lights is being aimed at the reflector.

Exactly. That's when the 3 or 4 stop comes in. I've been able to even use a cpl to get a wide enough aperture but granted, I rarely use lights outdoors, to cumbersome for my tastes.

With the output of HSS being so diminished, I'm surprised you're able to make much use of it outdoors if you'd otherwise need to shoot at f/11 and 1/250sec.

unles you're like this guy: http://catchlight-studios.typepad.com/.a/6a010534bff638970c017ee40aa7e4970d-800wi

Canon 600RT Speedlights (instead of his usual Quantum flashes) in order to get the benefit of High Speed Synch (HSS). The latter allowed him to blur the backgound with small apertures, which of course necessitated the use of higher shutter speeds. Because HSS causes a loss of flash power, he needed to use 3 flash units to get enough light on to our model. In the example below, David was demonstrating how these flashes could be used to provide the main light and some fill light simultaneously! Here, one of the lights is being aimed at the reflector.
That does sound like a pain in the rear. I guess I just miss being able to do it when I need it. When I shot with canon if I was going for f1.8 or f2 and ISO 100 I liked being able to push the shutter speed to where I needed it. Do most people just increase the aperature instead?

No, i agree it's nice to have; especially if you're used to it.

yes, closing the aperture will decrease the ambient exposure.

I've posted other ways around using HSS before, might be able to search my posts. I can get my flashes to sync above 1/250 without using HSS.

for example, this was 1/4000sec:

DSC_8575-1.jpg

I'll check that out. I had checked the tech specs on Adorama and it listed those speeds.
The Flash Sync Speed specs you saw at Adorama are only the x-sync specs.
Further down under Flash Modes - Auto FP High-Speed sync is listed.

Many don't understand the difference in how the shutter and flash unit works between flash x-sync speed and Auto FP/HSS.

No, i agree it's nice to have; especially if you're used to it.

yes, closing the aperture will decrease the ambient exposure.

I've posted other ways around using HSS before, might be able to search my posts. I can get my flashes to sync above 1/250 without using HSS.

for example, this was 1/4000sec:

DSC_8575-1.jpg
How was the this done?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back