Ladybugs

tomhooper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thomashooper.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
About the only thing I can find are Ladybugs. Tried to bait some flies to no avail. Alas, we shoot what we can this time of year.

Canon XSi, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite both heads 1/2 power, tripod, and shot with infrared remote shutter release. EXIF embedded.

First shot not as good as second. Had 8 images of the first shot and tried to do a stack. Didn't work out well. Hint to self: (Even moving antennae and slight head movements will mess up a stacked image. Subject needs to be static.)

ladybughead2282010cropweb.jpg

I liked the second shot much better. Detail, focus, and DOF were much better.

ladybugside2282010sideweb.jpg

I love bug photos. I like both images. Looky those compound eyes!

Please explain the difference between the power of your macro lens and my 18-200mm zoom. My n00b is showing, but I thought that the larger the lens the closer image you can get. I know my lens does not get that close! :p

sojourn: It is a dedicated Macro lens. Designed to "focus close". You get a 1:1 magnification if you can call it that with this type of lens. The shots above were shot at a distance of about 6-8 inches and I could have gotten closer. I did crop the images some to get a larger subject. Your telephoto is designed to magnify, just not to focus close. If you want to try and get a closer shot, you might try using extension tubes. I use them a lot on my 300mm when I am shooting bugs that are a little bit active. I can get macro shots without having to be close. There is a trade-of with image quality. I don't feel you get quite the detail and "pop" with a telephoto as you do with a macro.

I know Overread puts links up all the time for tutorials and articles on different aspects of photography. I know they are on this site somewhere, you might try a search for Macro lenses. I'm sure you'll get a much better explanation than I just gave. If I can help you in any way, please do not hesitate to ask.

You have been very helpful, I now understand the difference between the two lenses.

Most of my shooting history has been with a zoom lens. It sufficed for the hobby it was. Now I am interested in turning it into a more serious endeavor and I see that while I have an excellent eye, I have an incredible lack of knowledge concerning the 'nuts and bolts' of the craft.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back