TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.colorcrayon.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
matted-sunset.jpg

I finally found something worth posting. I think. :D

Very nice image; well composed and exposed. If you are going to do a lot of this sort of photography, you may want to look into the purchase of a couple of graduated neutral density filters as they will really make your skies pop.

I'm a beginner, so take my criticism lightly.

I love how the ground and tree frame the photo, and the texture of the water is great. I also love the pattern of the clouds, as they kind of draw me into the sun, if you will. The colors seem good although they may not be as rich as some other photos on here. But that's not necessarily bad, either. If you're looking for more saturation, try what tirediron said. He's very smart, and listening to him would probably do you quite well.

If I was going to be negative about anything, its that the horizon is somewhat in the middle of the photo, where the thirds rule would tell you to place it a bit lower. But in all truthfulness, I don't see it as a problem.

Thank you for posting your photo, and please post more for me to look at!

Maybe your horizon is tilted a bit. That can be fixed for free. :) & Yup, it's worth posting.

If you were to be asked to critique this photo, what would you say? Check it out closely.

Great shot I love it very much....great composition and exposure.

Maybe your horizon is tilted a bit. That can be fixed for free. :) & Yup, it's worth posting.

If you were to be asked to critique this photo, what would you say? Check it out closely.

You're killing me. I spent an hour going over this and the original "looking closely". :lol:

There are a couple of towers on the horizon that could be gone. I am going to look into the neutral density filters also. (i'm a novice although i'm not allowed to compete in local amateur photo contests anymore :x )

The horizon is tilted but when i straighten it the tree no longer frames my sunset. So i'm torn about that part. I do think the horizon tilt gives the lake a turn away on the left. (only good excuse i have for that)

I could crop a bit of the bottom to allow the rule of thirds to prevail also.

So what'd I miss? Please be as ruthless as necessary. I love my expensive hobby and I want to be the best at it. :D

You're killing me. I spent an hour going over this and the original "looking closely". :lol:

There are a couple of towers on the horizon that could be gone. I am going to look into the neutral density filters also. (i'm a novice although i'm not allowed to compete in local amateur photo contests anymore :x )

The horizon is tilted but when i straighten it the tree no longer frames my sunset. So i'm torn about that part. I do think the horizon tilt gives the lake a turn away on the left. (only good excuse i have for that)

I could crop a bit of the bottom to allow the rule of thirds to prevail also.

So what'd I miss? Please be as ruthless as necessary. I love my expensive hobby and I want to be the best at it. :D

The horizon only looks to be about .6 degrees off, there's still a bit of sky to the right of the tree if cropped close.

The power pole/thing is annoying, and also the remnants of contrails in the sky. Frankly, I would have walked away from this to look for a better use of the few remaining moments of light.

That stuff is kind of irrelevant though. The color is really good, and certainly it was an enjoyable sunset.

I'm not seeing where a ND filter would be of benefit. I'd recommend spending the money on a book or two about composition and studying it thoroughly. Find out what would give your photos depth and drawing interest. Try some things out- leading curves and shadows, foreground interest, defined subject, etc.

You seem to have the exposure/technique, work on what you're shooting.

Once you have some compositions you may want to try, go to a spot and find the shot. Take your time, look for what you want well in advance. Try to visualize how the shadows will fall, what the light will be- oblique, silhouette, ambient, reflected. Get it all in your head and work it out.

IMO.

[edit]

Then, spend about an hour analyzing your shot. Try to develop your own knack and judgement in reviewing your work. Then request a critique and do it all over again. Repeat ad nauseum until you know what you want and how to get it.

Last edited:
Thanks abraxas!

Composition has been hard for me. I see it and it looks good then i get it and i hate it. I'm probably in too much of a hurry.

Your advice has no fallen on deaf eyes. I'm looking at Amazon now for books. :D

Thanks again

Most reactions

Back