Lake Tekapo - New Zealand by Night

Centralian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
centralian.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In March this year we spent a few weeks roaming the South Island of New Zealand. I took these shots at Lake Tekapo on a bright moonlit night. Please click on the image for a larger version:

1. The Church Of The Good Shepherd

2. Oh Heavenly Chapel

3. Moonlight Tekapo

4. Heavens Above

5. By The Light Of The Silvery Moon

1,2,4 and the panoramic shot are stunning. Composition and colors look great.

best wishes

best wishes

Thanks for looking and commenting Xavi, I appreciate the feedback.

best wishes

I agree 100%! Do you mind sharing what lens you used?

Cheers Zhieson, my equipment used on these shots were a Canon 5DMk2 and a Canon 17-40mm f4.0 L USM lens.

photos #1 and #2 are killer. Love the mood and composition especially of the first image. Were you light painting the front of the building and rock fronts in the first image? Really well done series.

Please share the exposure time on your images if you would.

photos #1 and #2 are killer. Love the mood and composition especially of the first image. Were you light painting the front of the building and rock fronts in the first image? Really well done series.

Please share the exposure time on your images if you would.

Thanks Doug, when I set out in an unfamilar place like this to do a shoot I general spend some time checking the lay of the land, so to speak. In this instance I was trying to determine how best to shoot the church to gain maximum exposure without blowing out the highlights too much, the moon was always going to be a problem but I could live with it. Well I was there for around 30 mins when I heard a car engine off in the distance behind me, I knew the road to the church went directly from the church front to the main road about 500 metres away. So when I turned and looked across the field I saw the car was indicating to turn down this road, that is when I decided that there would be enough light from the cars headlights to paint the front of the church and foreground. So I activated the shutter before the car turned into the road and it painted enough light on the front of the church before it turned off onto another street.

This is my exif data for the first shot:

Model Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ExposureTime 13.0
FNumber 4.0
FocalLength 17.0

The EXIF data for the second shot is:

Model Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ExposureTime 20.0
FNumber 4.0
FocalLength 26.0

These are fantastic!

Did you do any light painting or is it all from existing light?

I really like 1 and 2. I would like 4 better if the house and foreground were a little darker, maybe looking like twilight (like 2). With the house brightly lite, and the stars in the sky, it looks like you Photoshoped the sky in. But the composition is great.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Most reactions

New Topics

Back