Land

I'm liking this more each time I come here.

What was your intent behind capturing this image, if I may ask?

danalec99 said:
What was your intent behind capturing this image, if I may ask?
That's a tricky one - if I could put it into words I'd be a novelist not a photographer. But the idea of being a writer has always appealed so here is the novel:
Landscape was always my weak spot for a number of reasons. And for another bunch of reasons I stopped taking pictures a few years back. Now I'm in a position and frame of mind to start back in again - and like going back to anything you feel you may have lost it. It can't really be like riding a bicycle, can it?
I decided to take the advice I always gave to students and photograph things I didn't like or found difficult. It makes you work and think about what you are doing an awful lot more - and landscapes are 'there'. You don't have to hire a model or a studio and no-one is looking over your shoulder while you work.
My current job obliges me to drive around Lincolnshire every day (one of the reasons that I took it). I've got back into watching the seasons change - how every day is different and how the light affects the whole feel of the land. And how the land can actually affect the light as well.
Then I started to become aware of man's relationship with the land. Lincolnshire can be quite bizarre in this respect, and I've been filing away little bits and pieces of ideas and images - a bit like sorting the pieces when doing a jig-saw. And when I see some bits that fit together nicely...
This happens when I see a landscape or part of one where some of the bits all come together. Then I stop and walk around looking, maybe take a few pictures and mark it on the map. When the light is nice I go back and see how it looks and take a few more pics and keep doing this until I get one where everything seems to be working and I capture some of the 'bits'.
Some work better than others, but when one seems to be working better than most i post it here. Then I can look at it as if I am someone else and really see how it's working.
In this one there is just the earth and the sky. The earth around this area has a wonderful warm red colour whilst the sky was a cold blue-grey. And man has left a damn great fingerprint on it - the whorls machine-made with precise regularity, giving no hint of the chaos of life that is to come. The land has been forced to conform to man's passion for neatness. Even so, every fourth furrow is slightly darker than the others giving a pattern within the pattern. And right in the middle is one little green plant defiantly struggling to grow...
I have the vague intention of going back to this one now and then to see how the story unfolds over the year. It would be nice to find it like this again next year but who knows...

What a great picture! It's wonderful. Love the patterns, the lines, the light, the sky, everything.

Nice idea about going back every now and then. Wonder how this site would work as a "Four Seasons" site. Also wonder how it's going to look with tiny seedlings. But I guess to seed the land they will use more equipment and produce a different pattern.

Just want to say that I really like what you've been doing with landscapes lately. I'm looking forward to the next one. Keep them coming!

Hertz van Rental said:
The original RAW is 13 Meg. I have to down-size it by a factor of 4 to upload it onto Photobucket - which then downsizes it to about 50k. After all that I'm suprised it's even recognisable. Now if someone knows a free place I can upload larger files to...

go to http://www.fotopic.net

150 megs for free.

Hertz van Rental said:
And man has left a damn great fingerprint on it - the whorls machine-made with precise regularity, giving no hint of the chaos of life that is to come. The land has been forced to conform to man's passion for neatness. Even so, every fourth furrow is slightly darker than the others giving a pattern within the pattern. And right in the middle is one little green plant defiantly struggling to grow...
Splendid! You should write with every image you post.

I don't like to because the way we privilege language means that my photos would become illustrations for my words. I prefer them to stand on their own.
I might write about them later when they have been looked at. I'll think about it.
But thanks for all the kind words people.

Most reactions

Back