Landscape Astro Shots

AndyG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying out my new 5DmkIV and my new Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 and I'm pretty pleased with the results. Quite an improvement over my 7D Mark I. These are uploaded as "optimized" because my wifi is not the fastest. Apologies if the quality is degraded.

6B8A7042.jpg

6B8A7048.jpg

6B8A7033.jpg

6B8A7051.jpg

6B8A7029.jpg

Your lens has quite a bit of Coma, or comatic aberration away from the central portion of the lens.
It's really noticeable in the shot that has Jupiter in the upper left corner. (numbers really help if you post multiple photos.)
The shot with Jupiter lower and closer to the middle of the frame has Jupiter much less distorted by the coma.

I 'stretched' (did an edit) your photo using Photoshop's Camera Raw Filter to bring out the sky detail a bit more.
I added +40 of Contrast, and +50 of Clarity.
I also added some annotation to identify some of the sky sights in the first shot.
I changed the file type too, to .PNG, so JPEG didn't get to again compress the file and do the other garbagé JPEG does to an image file.

6B8A7042Annotated_1.png

Your lens has quite a bit of Coma, or comatic aberration away from the central portion of the lens.
It's really noticeable in the shot that has Jupiter in the upper left corner. (numbers really help if you post multiple photos.)
The shot with Jupiter lower and closer to the middle of the frame has Jupiter much less distorted by the coma.

I 'stretched' (did an edit) your photo using Photoshop's Camera Raw Filter to bring out the sky detail a bit more.
I added +40 of Contrast, and +50 of Clarity.
I also added some annotation to identify some of the sky sights in the first shot.
I changed the file type too, to .PNG, so JPEG didn't get to again compress the file and do the other garbagé JPEG does to an image file.

6B8A7042Annotated_1.png

I did minimal post processing. Used Lightroom's lens profile to take out the fisheye look and just a few small touches.

Anything I can do about coma? Shorter exposure time? Or is it just the nature of the beast with a 14mm? You've got my interest and I'm fairly OCD about my results. So, ya know, lay it on me.

There's nothing I know of you can do with a camera lens for coma.
There's also not much you can do about coma post process.
The shorter focal lengths are usually the ones that have it the worst because the front lens element has to have quite a bit of curvature.

Reflecting telescope mirrors are curved and so have coma, but we can put a coma corrector in front of the eyepiece we want to use so stars not in the central part of the view are distorted.

In case you didn't already know, Photoshop's Camera Raw and Lightroom's Develop module are the same software - Adobe Camera Raw (ACR).
So the Contrast and Clarity sliders are the same as long as Both Ps and Lr use the same Process Version.

By the way.
Each of the objects I identified has a Wikipedia page.
For example, Castor is a 6 star system, though moderate size amateur telescopes only let us see 2 of the 6. Castor is close to us at only 50 or so light years away.
The Beehive Cluster has been known since ancient times. It was one of the first things Galileo looked at with the magnification he made in 1609.

Last edited:
There's nothing I know of you can do with a camera lens for coma.
There's also not much you can do about coma post process.
The shorter focal lengths are usually the ones that have it the worst because the front lens element has to have quite a bit of curvature.

Reflecting telescope mirrors are curved and so have coma, but we can put a coma corrector in front of the eyepiece we want to use so stars not in the central part of the view are distorted.

In case you didn't already know, Photoshop's Camera Raw and Lightroom's Develop module are the same software - Adobe Camera Raw (ACR).
So the Contrast and Clarity sliders are the same as long as Both Ps and Lr use the same Process Version.

By the way.
Each of the objects I identified has a Wikipedia page.
For example, Castor is a 6 star system, though moderate size amateur telescopes only let us see 2 of the 6. Castor is close to us at only 50 or so light years away.
The Beehive Cluster has been known since ancient times. It was one of the first things Galileo looked at with the magnification he made in 1609.

Awesome. I appreciate you identifying some of those on my shot. It's always fascinating to stay up late and see what the camera snags. It's also the most peaceful time and makes for an excellent hobby.

I'd love to get into DSO astrophotography, but that's gonna be a while for me. Money I can't spend quite yet.

Most reactions

Back