Landscape Help, Noob Please CC

chitownDSLR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What Causes the blue or "dusy" Hue over the Mountains or Back Ground in the distance? It seems that All my landscape photos have this when I travel to shoot and I can't get rid of it? Filter? Lens? Camera Settings?

Im shooting with a Tamron 18-250 Lens on a D90, some of the images I have a Polarized filter on... but it does not seem to help.

What cleans up landscape haze or lack of detail?

Last Set of Mountains has a Blue Hue
DSC_00040001.jpg

Distant Tree Line has a Pixelated fuzzy noise to them.
DSC_0221.jpg

Last Hill at the end of the lake looks grey and loss of detail.
DSC_0088.jpg

Again, looks like Haze over the Mountians.. but the haze is not there with the Human Eye!
DSC_0076_2.jpg

I thought that this would have been a great shot, but the Mountains are just washed out with bad noise.
DSC_0011_2_5.jpg

I tried all kinds of exposure here to get it right and nothing seemed to work.
DSC_0446.jpg

I took tons of different exposures here too. The mts still had bad haze even though it was not there when looking at them in person.
DSC_0490.jpg

Last edited:
Try using a quality UV filter and see what happens.

In my opinion, you can't avoid this haze when the back ground is that far. There are some days when there is no haze what so ever and those days come only once in a while.

Haze is traditionally an atmospheric phenomenon where dust, smoke and other dry particles obscure the clarity of the sky.

I get this part of it, but when you can't see this with the human eye and then on pictures it shows up gets really frustrating.

I have never used a UV filter, im gonna run out tomorrow to rent one and give it the old testaroo...

The camera's sensor has different sensitivity than the human eye.

Depth Of Field.

The camera's sensor has different sensitivity than the human eye.

Depth Of Field.

So This is why we can see a great scape or it looks fantastic with the eye and you can't capture it??

My polarizer filter helps me cut through distance haze, I never seem to take it off the lens I like the results so much. It will also give you incredibly blue skies in some shots.

Also some editing in a touch up program will help bring the contrast you are looking for. I use PhotoPaint from CorelDraw, but most folks here use PhotoShop I think.

See how the sky is a good deep blue and the mountains don't show as much haze in this photo?

4391492638_3488e951a1_m.jpg

I am not an expert, but have you tried using different DOF?

What is a DOF?

So Do you mean cranking up the F stops to increase the DOF? Shoot in a F20 or higher with a slow shutter speed to capture more of the photo in focus?

I was actually thinking the opposite, I'm guessing you're shooting most of these at pretty narrow apertures to capture the whole scene in focus - problem being that diffraction at higher f-numbers will be limiting your sharpness. Not sure if this is exactly what is causing the phenomena you have described but it could be worthwhile investigating.

Shooting wide open is helpful, so you might be on to something, but not everything is crisp, just what is focused upon.... I still have to go get a UV filter to check to see if it helps.

Most reactions

Back