[landscape] looking far away...

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by magali, Dec 6, 2004.

1. magali

magali TPF Noob!

By a great sunny day of June, I took this picture of walkers watching a beautiful landscape.

[​IMG]

Any comments ?

2. andycarnall

andycarnall TPF Noob!

The walkers in the foreground give a nice sence of scale, and have good exposure, but the moutains in the back, especially the top left secton, look overexposed - or was it a hazy day?

If you've got some software it may be worth playing with the levels - split the foreground from the background and change the levels separately to bring out some more detail of the far range.

3. magali

magali TPF Noob!

thanks for your comment, andy.
    Yes it could appear overexposed in the back. It was not a hazy day, but the backgroung is bright because the sun was shinning intensely, it was a hot day.
    Well, I don't wish to try a levels' update. I think the picture looks like how it was in reality. :wink:

4. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

I like the shot, but having the hikers positioned in the far lefthand corner makes it a bit confusing as to what the subject is. They seem like a bit of an afterthought. I think that it would work for the left half of the shot (it is stitched together, no?), but with such a huge angle of view, it seems a bit confusing. I would also like to see just a bit more of the trees on the bottom half, rather than having them chopped off, and I like the right side's exposure better: the sky is much bluer and the background doesn't seem so washed out. Nice view, though.

5. John E.

John E. TPF Noob!

Fantastic compostition. My eyes are immediatly drawn to the tourists, then scans the view they are admiring. The landscape is a little hazy, but i can live with that. I do agree for mass appeal you may want to do a little photo editing work.

6. bygum

bygum TPF Noob!

Yes I too like the compostion and I have to agree with you on the haze that is just as it would look with the fore ground being sharp .
    but one thing when you stitch make sure you cant see the stitch which is very visable in the last stitch 3/4 along .

over all a very nice shot .