landscape, people, macro lenses for Nikon D90

roctez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!

Im moving up from my compact camera to something more advanced and I need an advice about lenses. I decided to buy Nikon D90. I dont really want to start with kit lens, so I want to buy something still for newbie, but specified for one subject.

As stated in the title, I'm interested in photographing landscapes, people and macro. I read about lenses and I was advised to buy these:

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 for landscapes
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D or Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G for portraits.

I heard from somebody that lenses used for people may work for macro too. Is that true? And would I need anything else to make it work properly?

I want to spend on those lenses about $650.

Do you think what I got above would work fine? If not, what you do propose?

Thanks!

i suggest using the kit lens for a while. experience with your kit equipment will allow YOU to determine the best lens for YOUR needs.

in either case, you can't go wrong with the nikkor 50mm 1.8. its great for low light and portrait photography. i'd wait on the wideangle.

enjoy your new dslr!

I would disagree with Felix on the kit lens. I was in a very similar situation not long ago, I knew most of what I wanted to shoot was landscapes and that I'd want to shoot people as well. I grappled with the issue of not having anything between 20 and 50mm but in the end I went with d90, sigma 10-20, and nikon 50mm 1.8 and never regretted it. Zoomed into 20mm the sigma can take a shot of a group of people without noticeable distortion. I did eventually pick up a used 18-55mm kit lens but in the 2 months I've had it I've only used it once, I'd rather move around with my 50mm.

As for macro neither the 10-20mm or 50mm will take care of that, so that would be your biggest issue.

Actually landscapes are most important to me. Then people and macro in the 3rd place. The whole rest I will do definitely in the future when I get bored with what I want to shot now.

I think Ill stick to wide angle lens and Nikkor 50mm for now. I can give up macro for some time.

Thanks for help guys!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back