landscape photographers are grown-ups

Seriously though, I've seen posts that start out like: "This is nothing but a snapshot. What were you thinking?" I personally think there's no call for that. That may be what the person was thinking, but that doesn't mean that it needs to be said in that manner. There's content of the message, and then there's tone.

now you guys are giving me a hard time in here ;)

but i agree there is a difference between rude and rude. and i was not referring to THAT kind of rudeness...

There is a fine line between rudeness and directness - and I am afraid I sometimes cross it.

What would you say to a person who posts - and continues to post - pictures that are of absolutely banal subjects, "my mom and my cat" for example [I hope there isn't a Mom and Cat picture], uses a very modest camera and evinces no interest in improving either his/her skills in general or any picture in particular.
  1. Do you just ignore the posts?
  2. Do you leave room for people who just want to 'share' their pictures and don't want to make 'pictures'?
  3. Do you make an attempt to approach the concept that there is more to photography than that bright button on the top of the box?
  4. If 3 is ignored, do you go back to 1 or 2?

I would go for 2.

and i would tell that person why some of his/her pictures are better than others and that he or she should follow that route if improvement ist what is wanted.

If it is solely about sharing, I would ignore unless he or she is a friend of mine, or i might just comment on the subject of the image. I agree then it is not about photography and should not be posted in the critique forum.

But to be honest, the number of people not at all interested in improving his or her images is very low on this forum... IMHO.

BTW, I would not care about the camera ...

As many of you will have found out by now (my post count is not indicating that, is it?), I reply to very many posts, all across the entire forum. ANd I try my hardest to be open but friendly.

There are occasions when photos show up that don't speak to me at all. Car photography is very, very, VERY far out of my range of interests. So it may well happen that I not downright ignore but ... just about ... erm ... ignore a post where a car has been photographed from all angles. I don't write anything. I know others have an interest in car photography and I just let one of the other 9.999 members speak their mind there.

Then there are pics that come with the sentence "This is one of my best so far and my most favourite", and it is - in fact - just a very blah! photo.
Those give me problems.
Chatty and cheerful as I may usually be, I become quite silent. I no longer find the words. What can you say when said poster (no one in particular) already calls that photo his/her masterpiece.

So I leave those threads, too. Don't say a word. Let others take the first step ... so I can join in at a later point in time when I feel more comfortable, maybe.

As to photos that are just for sharing ... well, that is ONE aspect of this very photography forum. We also want to offer room for sharing, for building up a community, friendships (and they do build! I can give testimony of that!), and a sharing of things via this forum that would otherwise have to be posted to all the (meanwhile many, I might say about me) friends in e-mail or even letters, for example.

So I for my part am also happy about the "just sharing" aspect for which this photography forum is a platform, too.

And that is why I am an advocate for the General Gallery, where you may find really good photography, mind, you just have to look. There's some names that I have learned to look out for (tb2, to mention one in particular), and other than that I sometimes also just enjoy the sharing. Several more MIGHT consider the "Snapshots and Bloopers" more, but hey, there's most "traffic" in the General Gallery, so most will go post there. It is not surprising, is it?

Those give me problems.
Chatty and cheerful as I may usually be, I become quite silent. I no longer find the words.

Hmm, so that is what happened when you leave some of mine uncommented ;)

I am always very impressed on how many images you actually comment ;)

There is a fine line between rudeness and directness - and I am afraid I sometimes cross it.

What would you say to a person who posts - and continues to post - pictures that are of absolutely banal subjects, "my mom and my cat" for example [I hope there isn't a Mom and Cat picture], uses a very modest camera and evinces no interest in improving either his/her skills in general or any picture in particular.
  1. Do you just ignore the posts?
  2. Do you leave room for people who just want to 'share' their pictures and don't want to make 'pictures'?
  3. Do you make an attempt to approach the concept that there is more to photography than that bright button on the top of the box?
  4. If 3 is ignored, do you go back to 1 or 2?
If a person "evinces no interest in improving" then they generally won't be putting such an image in the Critique forum. If it happens, then the question needs to be put to the poster as to what is the intent behind their image, and offer up some insight as to why they are seeking critique - as is outlined in that forum's rules.

There is no need to engage in a discussion that your #3 seems to encourage, because that would simply be heckling. ;)

And TPF, oeverall, is indeed exactly about #2. That is why we have snapshot forums, the Themes forum, etc. You must excuse and be gentle with those who aren't savvy about photography forums and make the occasional wrong choice of where to post an image.

Hmm, so that is what happened when you leave some of mine uncommented

Oh well, I suppose so :greenpbl:

:wink:

:biggrin:

But honestly: strange as it may sound, on rare occasions even I have got a life. Doesn't happen often, but it does ...................... :oops:

By the way: are we still discussing whether landscape photographers are the more adult, grown-up, wiser photographers?
For I personally find that statement just a tad ... sweeping...

i just bumped up an image in the general gallery, which i would never post in the critique forum.

but i like it to have the opportunity to just share it.

of course i also like critique on that particular image, but I know it is not a killer-image anyway.

Oh well, I suppose so :greenpbl:

:wink:

:biggrin:

But honestly: strange as it may sound, on rare occasions even I have got a life. Doesn't happen often, but it does ...................... :oops:

And soon you will not just have a life, but a sofa and a new lens and a new filter ;) :)

Will go, look AND comment.
NOW!

:lol:
1.gif

I find that it's not uncommon for someone to ask for a critique when they are really looking for encouragement. There's nothing wrong with encouragement, but a real critique can be a big let-down for someone who doesn't realize what they are really looking for. I think a lot depends on how new to photography someone is. The newer they are, the more likely it's encouragement that they are looking for. If someone says, "This is my favorite photo and I wanted to see what you all think", then I'm guessing they want encouragement to continue taking photos and pointing out everything they could do to improve would be a bit painful for them. If they say, "Ok, here's my latest. Let me have it." then I think it's safe to tell them everything.

I generally don't comment on the former if I couldn't say much more than "nice", if that, so I feel it's better to not say anything at all. The same goes for general snapshots. If it sounds like they really want info on how to improve and I feel I have something to add, then I'll chime in.

"This is my favorite photo and I wanted to see what you all think", then I'm guessing they want encouragement to continue taking photos and pointing out everything they could do to improve would be a bit painful for them.

but that is the point, then you don not have to comment every little glitch about that image, but just tell them what you like about it (if there is anything you like about it ;) ).. and then give a hint on how it could be improved, maybe just commenting on what he mucked up the most and needs most urgent repair. Of course I would phrase it nicely (or try to).

if that person is keen on improving, then he will get the message. if not, well then still he will not feel offended.

hmm, but i agree in some way I just realised.

I never comment on any images of babies or children on here .. as mostly it is the poster's kids and he or she will take anything very personal ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back