landscape photographers are grown-ups

hmm, but i agree in some way I just realised.

I never comment on any images of babies or children on here .. as mostly it is the poster's kids and he or she will take anything very personal ;)

Yeah, exactly. I'll sometimes dip my toe in that realm, but I usually stay far away. It's especially hard on the Internet, because you don't have any body language to read. I've seen in person how crushed someone can be, and I don't want to be doing that. I'm not good at the feel-good fuzzy stuff when talking about someone's image. I'll do my best to be polite and post everything as opinion and not fact, but I do tend to focus on what I think could be improved rather than what I liked. That's just the way my head works. If some aspect is especially good, I'll comment on it, but it usually has to be something that's more that just "ok". There are usually enough people saying "I like it!" that I don't feel like I need to add encouragement.

Some of the kids of some of our members here I know as little persons (or as bumps on their then still mommies-to-be), so I post there in the building-the-friendship-and-sharing-something-from-home-mode. And I am happy that this forum is open for and even in part designed for that aspect, too.

But haven't we by now quite seriously derailed this thread from the initial question on how much more mature than others the landscape photographers are?
Which I STILL find is just ... well... a bit of a sweeping statement ........... :scratch: !?!?!?!?

But haven't we by now quite seriously derailed this thread from the initial question on how much more mature than others the landscape photographers are?

oh, your second try to get this thread back on track ;)

i think the initial statement was based on some experience the poster made on forums.

others might have made different experiences.

and it was presented as a question and a way to inspire discussion on this topic (not landscape photographers being the main topic, but critique and honesty).

sorry for my posts getting more and more confused .. just a lack of concentration from posting too much today ;=)

(Pssst, Alex: in all honesty: I find the title to this thread pretty much a statement and pretty exclusive, too, but that is just between you and me, ok?)

;)

pssst: that sort of title can be a good way to attract people who disagree ;)

if i post a thread with the title "tomatoes are blue", that will make many more people open that thread than if I just call it tomatoes ;)

I know there was no ill will in it, but I tend to find that approach disingenuous and distasteful. Depending on how it's done, it can be considered trolling. I end up feeling like someone's toy who's posted for their amusement.

I know that sounds strong, and your intent wasn't mean, but I put thought into my posts and have limited energy. I don't like it when I'm just satisfying a devil's advocate approach. I'll gladly engage someone in interesting conversation. I don't need to be tricked into it.

I know there was no ill will in it, but I tend to find that approach disingenuous and distasteful. Depending on how it's done, it can be considered trolling. I end up feeling like someone's toy who's posted for their amusement.

I know that sounds strong, and your intent wasn't mean, but I put thought into my posts and have limited energy. I don't like it when I'm just satisfying a devil's advocate approach. I'll gladly engage someone in interesting conversation. I don't need to be tricked into it.

Mark, you are taking offense when one isn't offered and I have no idea what incited this.

Everything in my first post was exactly what I did and thought. I wanted to hear what other people thought. I'm not being a devil's advocate because I'm not taking the opposing side and arguing for arguement's sake. There are a lot of people here with experienced-based opinion and I wanted to engage them.

I meant it to be an invitation, a provocation, a verbal seduction.
I can't understand how I could start a discussion without attempting to engage the viewer and I am dumbfounded that you felt 'tricked.' - or are you trolling me now?

well, it really depends.. nothing in this world works without advertising.

if it drags you into an interesting discussion like this one, it is ok i think, just if it drags you into some scam or some waste of time, then i consider ist a pain.

I did like this discussion, and The Traveler said it was a genuine question, so no foul. I just overreacted to some of what you were talking about. It's fine if we don't see the same way on that, but I am likely to have a bad reaction if I notice it.

I did like this discussion, and The Traveler said it was a genuine question, so no foul. I just overreacted to some of what you were talking about. It's fine if we don't see the same way on that, but I am likely to have a bad reaction if I notice it.

well, i did not say that I do advertise like that ;)
just said it works. and its effect on myself depends on the purpose behind it ;)

actually i did love this discussion!

Well, sure, probably true.

You park your car, get out, walk a little, set up the tripod (yawn), have a smoke (snore), sip your coffee (yawn), wait until the light is just right (snore), shoot a few, go home and process, post on the forum (yawn), someone says “I’d like to see it with the rock a little to the left” (yawn), or perhaps “haven’t I seen that same shot on the cover of Outdoor Photographer eleven times in the past year?” (snore).

What’s to get upset about? Rocks don’t move, they don’t talk back, they don’t need to be told to have a thought in their head, and most importantly they don’t care how their hair looks.

... We should all work at getting better at giving and taking criticism, myself included. For instance, after this post, I am prepared to be ripped by landscape photogs, and it’s okay. Humor rules. :lol::lol::lol:

All this is what makes it work for me.

Most reactions

Back