limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The U.S. Forest Service Wants to Fine You $1,000 for Taking Pictures in the Forest - Esquire

"This week's most profoundly wrongheaded display of nonviolent press infringement comes from an unlikely source: The U.S. Forest Service. New rules being finalized in November state that—across this country's gloriously beautiful, endlessly photogenic, 193 million acres of designated wilderness area administered by the USFS—members of the press who happen upon it will need permits to photograph or shoot video."

I have a feeling this is going to be challenged almost immediately in the courts. It seems to only apply to members of the press, but regardless, it's on thin constitutional ice. And by "thin ice," I mean "non-existent ice."

Probably on of the dumbest things I've seen in a log time. How are they going to distinguish press from an amateur/hobbyist photographer? Guess next they'll try to make people get a permit to walk in a forest or breath the air while they are there. Like you said, I suspect this will be challenged quickly.

My guess is that this is the same sort of thing that was enacted here in Canadian National Parks a few years ago. While the law sounds rather broad and far-reaching, the intent (at least in Canada) was simply to give the park rangers the tooth to control large commercial operations that moved in to film causing inconvenience for the public. I doubt very much if John Q. Public with a camera will even be noticed.

This was posted on another forum I frequent, and it was decided that it is really for the big commercial crews/setups that come in. The consensus was that me and my 2-camera setup and tripod should be relatively safe. However, since it's .gov that's involved, never say never!

I do freelance work and take photos in the wilds with the intent to sell them. I don't' make a lot of money doing this, and all receipts go back into my equipment. Am I considered "Commercial" ?? I think the main factor here is how they define "Commercial" ..... My small individual venture, and a movie company running 500 head of horses across the Stanley Basin wildflowers with cowboys and indians are BOTH "For Profit" activities - hence, "Commercial" .. There's been a ton of negative feedback on this subject, and the Orgonian newspapers have already reported this morning that the Feds have clarified that the "Media" (Press) will not need a permit.. I think folks like us will be just fine in the long run.

Reading through the proposed law it would have affected everyone who ever sold the work, amateur or pro. California State Parks are like this already and its a pain, if you get a ranger on a power trip your gonna have a bad day. Their definition of PRO is anyone with a tripod, they even threated to walk to the local art shows and ticket anyone who couldn't present a permit for a photo taken in a park.

Last I heard the public response was so large on this they are back peddling and reconsidering. I hope it goes away.

Yeah thats pretty much rules for commercial photography, like shoots for ads in magazines, or movie filmography. Being blown way out of proportion.

Yeah thats pretty much rules for commercial photography, like shoots for ads in magazines, or movie filmography. Being blown way out of proportion.
I can tell you that if no one had complained, they would have taken it as far as they could get away with. That's just the nature of government. Have you ever noticed .gov shrinking? No, it only grows, as we the people say nothing.

I can tell you that if no one had complained, they would have taken it as far as they could get away with. That's just the nature of government. Have you ever noticed .gov shrinking? No, it only grows, as we the people say nothing.

Thats cause yall keep electing liberals. To liberals, the gov is the be all end all for everything.
Ya'll?! Got a mouse in your pocket? LOL! I'm in the reddest state in the union, we elect no liberals. But this convo should end now, bad idea to have even brought it up.

Thats cause yall keep electing liberals. To liberals, the gov is the be all end all for everything.
Ya'll?! Got a mouse in your pocket? LOL! I'm in the reddest state in the union, we elect no liberals. But this convo should end now, bad idea to have even brought it up.

Wasn't you specifically, was people in this country in general.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back