Landscape photography first filter choice

eswebster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just upgraded my camera from an old canon 300d to a canon 5d Mark II with the 24-105mm L lens. Love taking pictures and the upgrade has only increased that passion, however I am also learning that the camera, lens, tripod and remote shutter arent the only things needed. I am looking at getting my first filter. Primarily shoot landscape photos and am considering a 3 stop graduated nd filter, soft transition, a gold n blue polarizer, LB color combo polarizer, or just regular circular polarizer. Since any of these are a few hundred dollars I thought I would ask those who have been there before. What would you do and why? Thanks for the help!

In order:

CPL
ND
GND

I would tend to agree that a GND would be of move used than a ND. I know that I use my GND more often than I do my ND filter, but that may just be my preference to. I also agree that a CPL is without doubt the best first choice.

Seems like CPL is the way to go. The two CPL's that keep coming up as "the best" are: Hoya HD pro and B+W KSM MRC slim pro. I am new to this but have learned over and over in life that if you buy the best and take care of it you cant go wrong. Just curious what those of you here have used or perfer when it comes to CPLs.

And thank you for the advice. At this point I am trying to be a sponge and soak up as much as possible.

I personally prefer B&W but in my opinion Hoya filters are very good to.

Most reactions

Back