Landscape SLR

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by Fester, May 29, 2009.

1. Fester

Fester TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi

I have been wanting to have a go at Landscape photography for awhile now and MF and LF are still out of my price range, but it seems Film SLRs are well within my budget of around £100ish/$150ish I'm not to fussed about having all the bells and whistles but the camera must have depth of field preview. Any camera & equipment recommendations and hints and tips would be most apresiated.

Thanks

2. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would go for an older manual focus camera from the 70s/80s with a couple of prime lenses (24mm or 28mm at the wide end, a 50mm and a 135mm or 200mm at the longer end). Examples of such cameras: Pentax Spotmatic F, Nikon FM/FM2, Olympus OM1... Those were all very well built and should have stood the test of time well. They feel very solid in your hands and are a delight to use.

3. Steph

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also, purchasing a tripod (if you don't already have one) might be useful for landscape shots, to allow for slower shutter speeds required for deeper depth of field.

4. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    MF is NOT out of your range!

Look around for a TLR. Framing takes a (very) little getting used to but after that you will be well pleased with the results.

With a little shopping you should be able to get a Yashica MAT 124 (don't bother with the G as it's the same basic camera with gold on the meter contacts- and the meter isn't all of that anyway. The 124 has stronger winder gears to boot!), an older but still serviceable hand held meter, and a dozen rolls of top grade film for under 150 pounds. It doesn't have to be a Yashica of course, there are several great TLRs out there.

5. Fester

Fester TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies.

I will have to look into TLR's

Thanks

6. farmerj

farmerj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Take a lot around at some local camera shops.

I found a local one that has some Mamiya RB67's lens and such that one can get into for the same price as a SLR package. I could get the body and a 90mm lens for like $500.

Medium format is likely within your reach more than you think.

Another option is to consider an older bellows camera like the Agfa Isollete or similar set-up.

7. Steph

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The problem is that cheaper TLRs, such as the Yashica MAT 124, tend to come with a normal lens (around 80mm lens), which might not be wide enough for landscape. Don't get me wrong, TLRs are wonderful cameras and I'd love to shoot with a Yashica MAT 124, but I would find the 75mm lens a bit limiting for landscapes. I would much prefer a 50mm lens but that might be just personal taste.

8. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    This is true, however you can get a lot done with a normal lens. Plus, if you have the negs scanned you can stitch them for panos easily.

A TLR that has interchangeable lenses is the Mamiya C330. These are a little more expensive of course but should be reachable.

The RB 67s would be great for landscapes also though fairly well out of budget. An RB and a 40mm with a sturdy tripod (and a back-brace ;)) would be just about ideal.

9. McQueen278

McQueen278 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got a Rollei T with a 75mm lens and it is almost too wide for landscapes. You'll be able to work with a Yashica Mat 124 very easily. TLRs work great for that kind of work.

10. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One thing to keep in mind with MF and LF, is that developing the film can be really $$, unless you do it yourself.

That said, you can buy a LF speed graphic for <$200 if you look hard enough; they typically come with a normal lens (135mm), but you can always add a wider once you have the $$.

35mm landscapes are NOTHING compared to a 4x5 landscape shot!

11. McQueen278

McQueen278 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd go as far as saying that 4x5 cameras are the least expensive film camera to operate. I shoot Shanghia B&W which cost $24 per 50 sheets out of my $100 speed graphic/127mm Ektar and get it proessed for $3 per sheet and scan it with my hacked up $150 scanner with cheap mylar and mounting fluid. HUGE image files and it's fun. I need to start doing my own developing more often to get the cost down even more. Right now I'm just lazy. The most expenisve thing was buying a 1TB external hard drive.

12. epatsellis

epatsellis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well, by that measure, my 8x10 field camera is about as cheap as it gets, $40 or so to build the camera, Free lenses (scrounged from process cameras), packard shutter I got for free and Ultrafine Contone Dupe film, around $.65 a sheet.

erie