Landscape

fightheheathens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While i was traveling around, i got pretty good at shooting pictures of buildings and man made stuff, however, i have found landscapes to be frustratingly hard. very rarely do i take a picture of nature and have it turn out the way that i actually see it. many times its much more impressive in real life and often times my pictures just dont seem to convey it. i know alot of times its weather and lighting related, but even then, i have seen amazing landscape shots on overcast days where the sky looks all dark and isnt washed out etc. im really looking for ways to improve my landscape shots so i have provided one here.

i guess i feel that all the shots i took from this location are pretty good, but none of them really stand out as a super awsome landscape shot so i was wondering what sort of pointers i could get for shooting this kinda of stuff.

so, for the particulars, it was shot with a Canon A80, low sun behind me, f/6.3 shutter speed 1/640 ISO 50

and OTE if youd like
small.jpg

I would start by saying that you aren't close enough. There is a lot of boring sky above. In the foreground there are also this messy branches which are distracting and take away from the rocks. Just behind the foreground there is a lot of green brush which also not that interesting. The rocks are a little washed out and add saturation wouldn't hurt, but the shadows on the rocks are great. Overall I would say to go closer and try to get the rocks to fill most of the frame.

Here's a different crop and saturation
small.jpg

it's a nice spot, but the photo is just a bit flat. you can change that with photoshop though, or with filters on camera. whichever you prefer. the composition would be better if the main mountain wasnt in the center of the picture too. i like a more dramatic look, so a bit more color and contrast would do it for me. here is an edited version i tried:

landscape.jpg

I like the setting of the area. I think a better shot, would have been a bit lower from you position with a tight shot of the tree and the peak in the background aroundf3.6 or so. DOF on the trees.

But for this photo, the photo is flat, I would make an adjustment layer and get a better contrast. Also appears to be a slight blue cast to the overall photo. From the above edits I prefer the beginning's the best. Both the tight crop and the off-centered peak.

Most reactions

Back