The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am just about to replace my laptop hard drive with an ssd but had an idea.

Rather than getting a 256 GB for OS and programs, I thought of getting a 1 TB SSD and keeping my catalog and previews on it with LR BA on HDD along with pictures.
My thought is that would increase browsing speed enormously. (I am jealous after I saw an acquaintances Hackintosh system that was unbelievably quick. ( Arctic Images )

I was going to get a Samsung 800 series (have two in other machines and they are good so far.)

Any comments, suggestions?

SEE POST#12 for useful tool numbers

Last edited:
If you want peak performance get the larger HDD for sure. If you fill an SSD up, it won't perform quite as fast (not that it slows down a ton).

I ended up putting in a Samsung 256GB 850 pro SSD in the laptop which replaced the 1TB std drive it came with. I just use it for an OS drive with lightroom and another graphics program I use.

Another 500GB SSD was bought as an external USB3. After all these years decided moving external hard drives are just not for me and USB3 is fast enough to transfer to an external SSD. That then allows me to easily transfer images to the main desktop PC at home. In that is another SSD as the main OS drive and again with LR and other essential software on it.

If you only use a laptop, then a decent sized SSD is the way to go. I would still partition it off though. Just a personal choice. Still need plenty of backups though just the same.

All the best.

Danny.

I went with a 250gb SSD on my laptop and have the OS and LR with the catalog/previews on that drive. The photos go onto an external USB 3 drive. I try to keep from bogging that machine down with extra programs or files and so far it has worked out for a working on LR while on the go.

My laptop has a 1Tb SSD but my work goes on an external HD. For my desktop I have a 3TB hybrid drive. 500gbSSD combined with a 2.5TB HD. Best of both worlds.

Samsung 800 series is an excellent quality drive. Getting the larger one does make it more convenient but pretty expensive per GB. If money is not an issue in this matter, this an excellent drive that has a superior controller over it's competition. The only other brand that can rival the controller would be Intel. As far as an upgrade, it would be the most beneficial thing to do in terms of performance. Additionally, Samsung has very good software for performance maintenance included. Never defrag an SSD drive, I assume your using Windows.

As far as Hackintosh, I will hold off on commenting harshly other than to say I do not condone violating end-user license agreements.

Samsung 800 series is an excellent quality drive. Getting the larger one does make it more convenient but pretty expensive per GB.
As far as Hackintosh, I will hold off on commenting harshly other than to say I do not condone violating end-user license agreements.

Thanks for comment, I will continue with Samsung - and probably order today.

The interesting thing about this Hackintosh was that my colleague would absolutely not share the configuration of his machine although he was totally gracious about inviting us to hi home and giving us a multi-hour tutorial on LR.
He is an amazing editor and could do things in LR that were inspiring.

Family issues sidetracked my follow-up.
Ordered (today) a 500 gb Samsung 850, 1TB HDD and assorted cables and cages. (unbelievably cheap at ~$450)

Expect that will cure all my speed problems on the laptop.

I am interested to know if Dave442's experience with LR Catalog and previews on SSD made a significant speed improvement in browsing files in Library mode?

Hi Lew, I feel the speed is decent. I had a Windows laptop with a regular HD in the past and then when I went with a Mac Book Pro with the SSD I spent some time looking into the best setup. Having the catalog and previews on the SSD seem to give better performance in Library mode than what I had on the Windows machine. Both machines using 8mb ram.

I know there are programs that are faster than LR for just viewing photos, but I have felt those are for people that have to go through 1000's of photos daily.

I usually import with Standard size previews (my Catalog Settings are 1440 and medium size - if you are using a large external monitor then might want to up the settings). I make my initial selections using that size and only for the selected files will I make 1:1 previews before going into the Develop module.

I have my Camera Raw Cache setting at 10gb, you have bigger files and may have more in your catalog so might need to up this number. As you have a larger drive then definitely use a larger cache size.

Enjoy the new drive.

Rcvd all but the cage for DVD Drive.
Took about 2 hours to clone the old drive
Installed 500 gb Samsung 850 SSD
Lots of really tiny screws; luckily I had some really tiny screwdrivers and some old dental tools to hold them to reinstall them.
Since I'm not worried about failure on this, I optimized for max performance and its incomparably faster than with kit drive.
First time with laptop install.
Compared to the tight spaces here a desktop is a breeze.

Last edited:
Rcvd cage, installation went easily except for manipulating tiny screws.
If not for these cotton pliers from years ago, I could never have gotten it back together. (ask your dentist for an old ugly pair.)
I also used a Craftsman Smart phone repair kit 44978 for the Torx and small Phillips head
Now my laptop has an i7 processor, OS system on an ssd an a 1 tb 7100 rpm drive

upload_2016-10-6_12-30-27.png

Rcvd cage, installation went easily except for manipulating tiny screws.
If not for these cotton pliers from years ago, I could never have gotten it back together. (ask your dentist for an old ugly pair.)
I also used a Craftsman Smart phone repair kit 44978 for the Torx and small Phillips head
Now my laptop has an i7 processor, OS system on an ssd an a 1 tb 7100 rpm drive

View attachment 128444
Cheapskate. You could have paid for the 72oo rpm drive. It's not that much more expensive. :biggrin-new:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back