Laptop for photographers

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by NYSTalents, Aug 15, 2008.

1. NYSTalents

NYSTalents New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I am an advanced amateur photographer looking purchasing a laptop using on all my indoor and outdoor photo shoting, as I shot on the same time picture appear on the laptop monitor to check the quality of each shot and save. What type Laptop? Is Dell a good choice? Which hardware? Which Software?

Thank you
  2. icassell

icassell New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit

I use a Dell Latitude 830 with the WUXGA+ monitor option running XP Pro. I like it. I'd have preferred a Mac, but my work bought it for me and it's a good machine. I have 2GB of RAM and a DVD burner and it does fine with PS CS2.
  3. DragonHeart

DragonHeart Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I use a Gateway MX6920 with 2 GB ram and a Centrino DUO Core processor running Windows XP and CS3. Works great for me.
  4. Sandspur

Sandspur New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Either Macbook or Macbook Pro.

And Lightroom is probably the best choice for software.
  5. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3,071 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
  6. icassell

icassell New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
  7. fabric

fabric New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    buy a mac. hardly ever EVER crash and viruses are practically a non-issue (natively)
  8. manaheim

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3,071 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Yeah, that sucker is so on my list. My Alienware 5100 needs to be replaced anyway. :)
  9. STICKMAN

STICKMAN New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW Lenovo really put some thought into that baby!!!!!! But thats allot of cha ching for a laptop and im sure that price is way bottom of the line.
  10. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2,955 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    hmm £3000 sep 08 -- knock that down to £1500 sep 09 :)
    affordable, and photo editing does only need a set amount of processing and graphics power - space is the key thing that really is needed -- so one does not need to aim for the upper market version to retain usability.
  11. elemental

elemental New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am running a 15" Macbook Pro with the 2.0ghz Core Duo and 1.5gb RAM and Lightroom. A little over two years old and still runs like a dream. I don't mean to turn this into a Mac vs. Windows debate, but I think a Macbook Pro is about as good as it gets (within reason). They're not cheap, but few good things are, and I've also heard complaints about the LCDs, but this system has been absolutely perfect for me.

I mean, do you really want Vista?
  12. elemental

elemental New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was curious, and the new entry level Macbook Pro comes with a dual-core 2.4ghz processor and 2gb of RAM. Now, the cheapest one is still $2,000, but that's a big upgrade from what mine was two years ago.
  13. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2,955 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    you don't need Vista unless you play games -- that is really the only big reason.
    Most stores will happily "downgrade" a computer from vista to xp if you ask them - and the current edition of xp is well supported, balanced and not as big a system hog.
  14. Hybridatomsk

Hybridatomsk New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a crappy Compaq Presario C700. It's not the best laptop in the world,but It's a great laptop. I don't think the laptop really matters,but as long as you have enough space in it to upload your photos.Especially if you plan on keeping them all on your laptop,you know?

Also, get a backup program for your photos. x_x
    -Hy
  15. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Yep, me too. *searches parents' wallets*

But I just can't see why you'd need so much power to use Photoshop. I mean, a quad-core processor? Nah, for gaming maybe, but not for editing. My computer has a 3.2GHZ single-core CPU, just over 1GB of RAM, and it runs CS3 completely fine. Sure, it's slow sometimes, but I can generally edit 6mp files with no framerate drops at all. But yeah. :drool:And that built-in tablet looks good too.

As for what machine you should get, it's all about your preferences. If you like the way Windows works (or have just "grew up" with Windows), then I'd recommend one of those. If you like the idea of Macs better, then get one of those. As for hardware, a 2ghz dual-core and 2gb RAM should do you OK for most image editing, but, naturally, the more the merrier. A biggish harddrive is always worth it as well.
  16. Paul M

Paul M New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree that you should get what you are comfortable with. With that said, I am on my 4th Dell and I have found that the extra $250.00 for the "in-home-warranty" is worth it if you use it just once. I did on one of my laptops a few years ago and I won't get another computer unless I get this awesome service. I can fix desktops but laptops are a little more difficult.

Now, away from the "repair" thoughts. I thought I would stand up to the Vista bashers and describe what I use for my at home system as well as in the field. I have an Inspiron E1505 with Centrino Duo 1.83Ghz, DVD Burner, 2 gigs of memory, 80gig hard drive (500 gig external via USB), and Vista.

I backup all of my pictures to not only my 500gig external, but one of my desktop networked machines while at home. (1TB is soon to come). My personal preference for a good laptop for photography is at least 2gb of memory, a large hard drive, and chip speed, as well as a good graphics card. This is how I would go if you use your laptop for your main machine (which I do so when I get in the field, I don't "accidentally leave something important on my desktop").

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  17. speed_dmon

speed_dmon New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is the one I just received yesterday actually (and im on right now). It is my first Mac and I love it. I used a student discount even though I'm not a student anymore. I just went to the website for the school I used to attend and there was a link to the discounted online Apple store. It was an amazing deal at $1799 plus they give you $299 towards an iPod of your choice. I am selling the iPod so the discount on the laptop equates to a bit more.
  18. Parkerman

Parkerman Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit

I just recently bought an HP, 15.4 in monitor, 3 gigs of ram, dual core 2.2ghz processors, 250gig harddrive. $799. only sucky thing about it is the 128bit integrated graphics card, That only comes into effect though if i boot up wow on it or something.
  19. manaheim

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3,071 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Well, if you want games that require DX10...

And TBH, Vista needs to burn a slow and painful death. Vista is the worst thing to come out of Redmond... since... well, ever...
  20. chrisburke

chrisburke New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    i use mac, so obviously i'll say get a mac.. but if I can offer advice.. if you decide to stick with windows DONT BUY A DELL they are great for a year or 2, then they crap out... I'm the only staff member in my office who uses mac, the rest use dells, and every 2 years they have to buy new ones.. and I'm not exaggerating... and they arent noob computer users, they are graphic designers