Laptop software and requirements

kylesmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just getting ready to purchase my first DSLR as well as the laptop and software for my photos. Any recomendations or suggestions on what I should get?:er:

Laptops are not always the best way to go - they tend to be more expensive for a lower spec. You need something with a fair bit of RAM, good processor speed and a biggish HD for Photography so you would be better off with a desktop computer to start. You would also be able to get a bigger monitor with better resolution. You can get a laptop later if you need one.
As for software - it all depends on what level you are going to work to. Most DSLRs come with the manufacturer's software which is usually adequate for home use. Or use iPhoto on a Mac. Only buy the expensive pro software if you get to a stage where you need it.
Although I would say that I think Photoshop is an essential tool at all levels.

You will also have to choose between Mac and windows. Macs are easier to use, but if you have used a PC all your life it may be hard to switch over.

But i really dont want to start a debate here, chances are you have already decided

what are your thoughts on the nikon d80 as well as what lenses i should get?

Yes.
Getting the latest version is expensive. Older versions will work just as well for most purposes. At one time some scanners came with a free 'cut down' version of PS. And it comes in PC and Mac versions. It used to work better on a Mac (I think it started life on a Mac - though the original engine was written to do auto blue screen masking for Star Wars) but now it works well on both platforms.
Shop around.

How much available RAM do I need, also processor speed, & hard drive size?

I am so glad you have gotten your sight back, but sorry for what has happened. I know people always say they're sorry, but I am. You see my 11 year old son was blind among several other disabilities, he passed away February 29th of this year. I decided life is so short and I've always wanted to take up photography so I am in my son's memory...it helps me deal with life without him. So thank you for being online I needed your advice.

If you're just starting with photos the Photoshop is waay overkill. Look at something like Adobe Lightroom, and for your image editor the free GIMP program www.gimp.org would be better suited.

Is the Nikon D80 going to keep me from upgrading for awhile?

How much available RAM do I need, also processor speed, & hard drive size?

The more RAM you have the faster things happen with image processing - otherwise the computer/program uses part of the HD as a RAM disk and starts data swapping which slows things down.
I would say that 2 Gig of RAM is minimum these days and, if you have the money, max it out.
Processor speed is another control on how fast things happen - but don't be fooled into thinking that faster processor speed means faster processing. What actually limits processor speed is data bus speed. It's no good having a lightning fast processor if the data can't get in and out fast enough.
I have an iMac running an Intel Core Duo at 2.4 GHz, 800 MHz bus and 2 Gig of RAM. It's very quick even with RAW images - and it's a bottom end Mac.
A good sized HD (350 Gig or more) is minimum for image storage and you'll need at least one external HD for back up and archiving.
The program you choose to manage your images will also affect how fast things happen. I was using Olympus Master but it was slow as it has to convert each RAW image to do anything. I now use Aperture and, apart from having a limitless storage and management capacity, it does auto back-up and handles most RAW formats as native. That means it is quick (images change almost as fast as you can click).
I'm sure that you can get an equivalent set-up for PC and it'll probably be cheaper in the US. I just prefer a Mac.

Go to Dell and build a 1720 ($1248)

This is where I would start:

My Components
Jet Black
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5750 (2.0GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
High Resolution, glossy widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
Size: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
No Webcam Option
56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
High Definition Audio 2.0
My Software & Accessories
Trend Micro Internet Security 15-months
Microsoft Works
Adobe PhotoShop Elements - I recommend removing this and install Corel PaintShop Pro X2. IMO it's equivlent to Photoshop.

If you're not a fan of Windows Vista like me, Select the small buisness systems and build a M series with XP pro. It seems Dell doesn't sell the home small office systems with XP anymore. :(

I used PCs for decades. I switched back to Mac a couple of weeks ago. The Mac will do stuff I couldn't even dream of with photos.

All my RAW images are instantly viewable at any size. Editing is a piece of pie too.

iPhoto comes with Macs and works brilliantly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back