Large aquarium shots?

Lightsped

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Considering going to the large Atlanta Aquarium to try out fish photography.

I have a D800 and most of the Nikon f2.8 lenses. I figure I will probably be using the 14-24mm and 24-70mm the most. What settings would be recommended for the camera? Most shots will be handheld, but I can bring a monopod with me if needed.

Thanks

Considering going to the large Atlanta Aquarium to try out fish photography.

I have a D800 and most of the Nikon f2.8 lenses. I figure I will probably be using the 14-24mm and 24-70mm the most. What settings would be recommended for the camera? Most shots will be handheld, but I can bring a monopod with me if needed.

Thanks
The settings I would recommend are the ones that get the shot. THERE ARE NO standard setting for any kind of shot. Even the sunny 16 rule is only a guide. You need to understand the exposure triangle and understand how to use it. Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

If you want to track moving fish then you need to select continuous focus instead of one shot focus.

A lot is going to depend on available lighting as well as target speed. Slower moving you can probably go as low as 1/120, fast moving targets you want to go up to say 1/320. Aperture should be adjusted for desired DOF though in all honesty most aquariums will be pretty tough going above say F4 without putting your ISO in the nosebleed section.

Either way it's a pretty delicate balancing act. Here are a couple of samples with EXIF data, hopefully that will help...

20150103 897 by Todd Robbins, on Flickr

GLSafari 063 by Todd Robbins, on Flickr

20140308_965 by Todd Robbins, on Flickr

A lot is going to depend on available lighting as well as target speed. Slower moving you can probably go as low as 1/120, fast moving targets you want to go up to say 1/320. Aperture should be adjusted for desired DOF though in all honesty most aquariums will be pretty tough going above say F4 without putting your ISO in the nosebleed section.

Either way it's a pretty delicate balancing act. Here are a couple of samples with EXIF data, hopefully that will help...

20150103 897 by Todd Robbins, on Flickr

GLSafari 063 by Todd Robbins, on Flickr

20140308_965 by Todd Robbins, on Flickr

Is it only me, or is the wide eyed look from all three fish a look of surprise from seeing a gorilla behind the camera. :biggrin-new:

Thanks. Yes the Atlanta Aquarium is pretty dark with a lot of bluish looking water and colorful fish. Very similar to your quality photos. Thanks

Thanks. Yes the Atlanta Aquarium is pretty dark with a lot of bluish looking water and colorful fish. Very similar to your quality photos. Thanks

You should actually have an easier time, all three of those were shot on APS-C sensor cameras. Two where done with a D7100 and the third with a D5200. Full frame should make things a whole lot easier for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back