Large Format

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ss2kj, May 22, 2009.

1. ss2kj

ss2kj TPF Noob!

Hello Again,
    most of you have probably answered this question a million times. I've become interested in large format photography but have no experience. I decided to get a LF camera and start learning. What you recommend for beginners? If anyone can recommend a camera shop in richmond area it'd be great?
    thanks

2. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What got you interested in LF photography? Also I guess a rudimentary question would be to ask about your budget first of all.

3. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Setting a budget is a major consideration and don't limit your consideration to just the camera, lenses, and required accessories (meter, tripod, ...). How you will process and print the images needs to be considered as well.

At the bargin end of the scale, a used Crown Graphic with its typical 127mm lens, preferably a late model, would be a good consideration. You still need a meter, tripod, cable release, film holders and other accessories.

You then need to work out processing and printing. Lab processing is limited and expensive. With B&W, its far far better to do it yourself. B&W film processing is easy, you can do it in trays. Printing is another issue. You need an expensive enlarger and lens, a good scanner and digital printer (~$1000USD minimum), or be satisfied with 4x5 contact prints.