LARGE Panoramic

Chris Stegner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bluegrassphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
PLEASE NOTE: You need to scroll horizontally to view this entire image.

It's been a few months since I shot this, but I believe it's comprised of 26 vertical shots with my Canon 5D. Full-resolution is well over 300 meg.

I will be posting more panoramic shots, they're my new passion.

Comments would be appreciated.

FlemingsburgFarm-All.jpg

26 is alot. on first sight, with my booze-poisoned eyes tonight, I cannot see any stitching problems. do you use a panorama head to rotate around the nodal point of your lens and hence avoid any parallax error?

while technically on first sight it seems good, it was not the best weather to get a good image, also to the right hand side it gets a bit boring.

what was you focal length?

I find it very difficult to compose a panorama well. It is so different from standard images.

Thanks for the reply! No I do not use a Panorama Head. You're right, it was a rather blah day, and yes the right gets boring. I kept this one though just to show I could make a pano this wide without a head. Lastly, I believe I was at around 200 with my Canon 70-200 f2.8. I have found that you can get REALLY wide panos without a ton of work with the longer focal lengths.

Thanks for the reply! No I do not use a Panorama Head. You're right, it was a rather blah day, and yes the right gets boring. I kept this one though just to show I could make a pano this wide without a head. Lastly, I believe I was at around 200 with my Canon 70-200 f2.8. I have found that you can get REALLY wide panos without a ton of work with the longer focal lengths.

true, this is because you have no close foreground which would show strong parallax errors and makes stitching a nightmare.

I think in the US there is a panorama ninja, as a rather cheap pano head. it seems rather lightweight, but with a wide angle lens and not too long shutter speeds it should be ok.

I agree with Alex, that the right side of the image is rather boring. I've never tried a panoramic shot, but by the look of it, it's probably pretty bloody hard to get a good one. Nice try though.

Wow, that's one long panoramic shot. :)

I like it but if I were to do it I would've started just before the barn that says Cloverland Farm and ended just after the cattle to the right of the barn.

The house at the left would've been nice if it wasn't obscured by the trees.

Anyhoo, what software did you use to stitch the photo's together? I can see the individual shots though. And the only reason I can see them is there is a repeating spot of what looks like dust on the sensor just above the horizon.

I'm really interested in doing these type of shots and it's nice to see some of the work others are doing. I'm going to have to do a major memory upgrade on my PC first though. My PC, with it's 512 meg of memory has just enough guts to process regular photos. A 2 gig memory upgrade is on the way.

Ryan, thanks for the comments! I appreciate the feedback. I use a program called "PTGui" ( http://www.ptgui.com/ ). It does a very nice job, although running in auto mode is not suggested. And 512 meg would do much with this software. Not sure what your D80 puts out by when I throw a bunch of images from my Canon 5D at it, it gets pretty slow and I have 2 gigs of ram.

As for the dust, I'd kill to figure out how in the heck to keep that crap out of my body.

Here's a bunch of old ones, prior to using the new software:

http://www.bluegrassphotography.net/Panos/panos.html

Most reactions

New Topics

Back