Large photo enlargements

pilotgirl2007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone have any idea where I could get an extremely large print of a photo. I intend on taking some black and white film (35mm) photographs for a friend who wants to have them enlarged (and I do mean ENLARGED) he wants them to be poster size I guess. So any ideas?

"Poster size" as I understand it would be a 24x36 (this would utilize the full frame of a 35mm negative) and that size print is quite easy to locate at most any online or brick and mortar lab though it's like to be an outlab printing.

I did notice on I think it was winkflash.com that they also offer a 44x66 print as well at a fairly reasonable price of $70US... or about $2EU! lol

Mpix.com will print you a 20x30" for $25. If that's not big enough, I don't know. I do recommend you shoot very low ISO film though ;)

Mpix.com will print you a 20x30" for $25. If that's not big enough, I don't know. I do recommend you shoot very low ISO film though ;)

Yeah, it's a shame ASA-25 is no longer available.

Good luck finding anything thats much lower than 125! I went to Yosemite this weekend and I wanted the lowest ISO I could get... they only had 125 which is what I try to use all the time. I am going to keep my eye out for lower.

Yes, there are the ISO 25 films already mentioned. There's also Ilford Pan F at ISO 50.

Kodak T-Max 100 (100TMX) and Fuji Acros 100 have very low graininess, and ISO 100 ratings. They are both very good for great enlargement.

There are a few films that are similar to Technical Pan: document copy films that can be used for normal pictures. These tend to have an effective speed around EI 12 or EI 25 when developed for pictorial use.

Flaws that are not noticeable at low enlargements may become noticeable at high enlargements. Three of the things to watch in that respect are diffraction, camera shake and depth of focus. Use a tripod, or a higher shutter speed than you would normally use, and assess depth of field using the lens markings (or table) for at lest one but preferably two stops more open that the aperture in use. For example if you are shooting at f/8, use the markings for f/4. Don't stop down too much, unless you are happy trading depth of field for overall softness caused by diffraction.

Depending on the quality you want, you may want a very good scan at 6000 ppi or higher, either from a high end flatbed like a Creo iQsmart3, an Imacon or a drum scanner. I don't mean a "6000 ppi" scan from a consumer flatbed. I rent an Imacon 949 for the 35 mm film I want to scan at 8000 ppi for large prints. Of course it could be printed optically.

Best,
Helen

Yes, there are the ISO 25 films already mentioned. There's also Ilford Pan F at ISO 50.

Kodak T-Max 100 (100TMX) and Fuji Acros 100 have very low graininess, and ISO 100 ratings. They are both very good for great enlargement.

There are a few films that are similar to Technical Pan: document copy films that can be used for normal pictures. These tend to have an effective speed around EI 12 or EI 25 when developed for pictorial use.

Flaws that are not noticeable at low enlargements may become noticeable at high enlargements. Three of the things to watch in that respect are diffraction, camera shake and depth of focus. Use a tripod, or a higher shutter speed than you would normally use, and assess depth of field using the lens markings (or table) for at lest one but preferably two stops more open that the aperture in use. For example if you are shooting at f/8, use the markings for f/4. Don't stop down too much, unless you are happy trading depth of field for overall softness caused by diffraction.

Depending on the quality you want, you may want a very good scan at 6000 ppi or higher, either from a high end flatbed like a Creo iQsmart3, an Imacon or a drum scanner. I don't mean a "6000 ppi" scan from a consumer flatbed. I rent an Imacon 949 for the 35 mm film I want to scan at 8000 ppi for large prints. Of course it could be printed optically.

Best,
Helen

Hey, it is best print by scanning the negative and print digitally or print in the darkroom when it come to big enlargment using film, thanks!

Don't Rollei and Efke make ISO25 film? Or is it not true 25?
You may be correct but I don't shoot anywhere near as much as I had in the past and it makes sense for me to stay strictly digital now.

Wolf/Ritz Camera. They (we) can do up to a 44-120 by sending it out and can do the 24x36 in most stores.

Not sure how much the 44-120 is but the 24x36 is $40

~Michael~

Well thanks for your suggestions I went out there and shot two rolls of Tmax 100 (lowest I could find) we will see how they come out. I am developing them now : )

Medium format. Rent, borrow, wrangle, or whatever it takes.

I would opt for a lab that's printing on a Light Jet or a Lambda. I much prefer them to "giclee."

Most reactions

Back