larger subject

ryan7783

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As tactful as I can be, I have an engagement shot next month with a bride who is a tad bit larger than my average subjects. I'm also shooting their wedding next year.
I guess my question is how does one go about making someones size seem less noticeable in the composition? Are there poses I can utilize to hide the fact? I can't just have an array of photos with her standing behind her fiance or hiding behind trees poking her head out.
I understand you have to shoot the person as they are but I'm hoping someone here can help me out with some experience. Thanks

Always try to maintain her shoulders at a 45 to 60 degree angle to the camera-to-subject axis, and position her hubby fairly square-shouldered to the camera. This makes the man seem broader-shouldered and more masculine-looking, and will position the bride so her bosom shows,and she looks like a woman. Avoid poses where she is deliberately "hidden" behind him; this is her day,and I'm sure she's aware that she's not some stick-thin model,and she will be looking as well put together as her "crew" can make her look, so don't worry too much.

Again, maintain an angled body position on her, keep the man broad-shouldered to the camera, and work with what you'd normally do. Watch out for excessive apparent perspective distortion when shooting at very close ranges with short focal lengths, which can make a person's near shoulder look large in comparison to their head size; this is of concern mainly on the really,really close-range shots.

Yes, definitely keep her turned at an angle and not strait on facing the camera.

For standing poses, have her keep her weight on her back foot rather than on her front foot. The man can have his weight on his front foot.

An important tip for shooting most people, not just us heavy people, is to have them extend their face forward. "stick your chin out". This helps to slim the face. It's an unnatural position, so keep reminding them often.

It can also help to shoot from higher angles. This helps makes them look up, helping to slim the face.

I had heard that keeping the head turned slightly helps to eliminate double chin syndrome so I'll use that too. The ideas you guys have are great. I'll definitely use them.

Most reactions

Back