Lasso tool

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by JIP, Mar 10, 2008.

1. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

O.k. I am sure this is a simple one for the real PS heads. I was wondering if there is a simple way to select a certain area with the lasso tool instead of tediously tracing around the subject you are trying to select. I guess it would help to tell what I am trying to do so if there is a different way some can help with that. I would like to pick out certain areas to do levels correction on differently that the rest of the image. I hope this is clear enough of a question.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is the magnetic lasso...which snaps to areas of high contrast.
    You could also try using the magic wand to select areas, or using the 'select/color range'.

A lot of times I use the lasso or magic wand to get a quick & dirty selection...then use either a mask (or quick mask mode) and use the paintbrush to do the tedious parts of the selection.

3. dkf10425

dkf10425 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Easiest way to do selective levels adjustment is layer mask, then use black and white brushes. Black conceals, white reveals.

4. Sandspur

Sandspur TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the Polygonal Lasso for most selections, unless the area is simple and distinct enough to use the Magic Wand.

Also, if you're selecting more than one specific area, just hold down Shift as you begin the next selection, and the next ... etc.

Then I use Quick Mask to clean up, before copying the selection(s) to a new layer and doing whatever I want with them.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another good tip for selections is to use an adjustment layer...levels or contrast etc. Crank the contrast way up, so that the edges are more pronounced and easily detected by the lasso or magic wand.
    Once you have the selection, just trash the adjustment layer.

6. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is a great tip!

What I do is use the regular lasso tool, but select a low enough feather setting, so I can get close to the edges. Once I have a basic selection, I zoom in to the different areas that need refining and I hold down the Alt key to subtract little areas, or hold down the Shift key to add little areas. Once you practice a bit, you get pretty fluent at it.