480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A local dairy produces a real nice (albeit expensive) ice cream mix that just can't be beat. I had resigned myself to not seeing any until next summer as they don't usually produce it after early September.

But, to my astonishment, there were 4 containers in the cooler at the grocery store today when I went there. So naturally I snapped 'em up. They had an expiration date of Oct 16, so they were still good.

I doubt I'll see any more until next summer, so this afternoon I fired up the old, trusty rusty White Mountain freezer and dug out 4 ice cream buckets filled with ice and started to make.......... home made ice cream!

Ice%20Cream%201.jpg

I usually do several batches at once, which saves a lot of things........... namely, having to clean everything up. I just pack the batch straight from the freezer to the deep freeze, and pour in the next batch.

Ice%20Cream%203.jpg

I also reuse the brine, which saves a ton of ice and salt. I just pour it into a food-grade bucket, refill the freezer, and pour the brine back in.

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

Ice%20Cream%202.jpg

It may be October, but there is still a dasher dripping with delight!

Ice%20Cream%204.jpg

As always, the last batch in gets a healthy serving of Carnation malt powder, Nestlé Quick and Hershey chocolate syrup.

Ice%20Cream%205.jpg

Pour it in, restart the freezer, and let it run for the final 4-5 minutes to mix it all up.

Ice%20Cream%206.jpg

This is to make chocolate malts with.

Ice%20Cream%207.jpg

Everything is all cleaned up and drying. All 4 gallons of the ice cream is in the freezer, just waiting to be made into a malt, or melt next to a slice of hot apple pie sprinkled with cinnamon powder!

Ice%20Cream%208.jpg

Jealous yet?
tongue0015.gif

I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream!

What, no Butter Pecan, no Chocolate Almond, Chunky Monkey, or Coffee, Coffee BuzzBuzzBuzz? Please tell me there is at least some Cherry Garcia???? My grandparents used to make vanilla and chocolate. :allteeth:

What, no Butter Pecan, no Chocolate Almond, Chunky Monkey, or Coffee, Coffee BuzzBuzzBuzz? Please tell me there is at least some Cherry Garcia???? My grandparents used to make vanilla and chocolate. :allteeth:

When I was little, all my parent made was ice cream so full of junk it was no longer ice cream. Same with Jello. Chock full of nuts, banana, cherries, strawberries, pecans, walnuts, oranges, lemons, lime, you name it, it was in there. So plain-jane all day for me, TYVM.

Unless someone can tell me how to do marshmallow in ice cream. And please don't tell me to use marshmallow creme..... that stuff turns hard as a rock when it freezes.

Marshmallow Ice Cream

• 2 C half and half
  • 1 10-oz. bag of large marshmallows
  • 2 C heavy cream
  • 2 T vanilla extract
In a large pot, combine half and half with marshmallows. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until marshmallows have completely melted. Remove from heat and let cool briefly. Then place in fridge to cool for 20-30 more minutes, until chilled and slightly thickened.

In the meantime, whip heavy cream until you have soft peaks. Fold into cooled marshmallow mixture and add vanilla extract. Stir until everything is combined. Place in ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s directions for making ice cream.

I have never made this exact recipe but I have eaten it. Got it from a friend after she made a batch. It is good with a marshmallow flavor. One hint though, add a small amount of guar gum will keep homemade ice cream from developing ice crystals.

My recipe does not include diluting the marshmallows rather I cut them into small bits and mix them in along with chocolate covered peanuts to make rocky road ice cream.

Last edited:
We make it year round where I am, but we use our own secret recipe, none of that store bought for us! :) Kids love the bubblegum and I like the mint chocolate chip. My wife likes watermelon.

Man, does that look good. Don't care if it's -30, I'd eat it.

My folks had one of those when we were growing up. Dad was such a cheapskate. He'd wait until the ice was about to go out on the pond, then chip buckets of it. We also got our milk right from the farmer. Skim the cream off. Vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. They always froze some strawberries from the garden just for this. From scratch, no mix. Best ice cream ever eaten.

We make it year round where I am, but we use our own secret recipe, none of that store bought for us! :) Kids love the bubblegum and I like the mint chocolate chip. My wife likes watermelon.
We do too, but always in small batches, 2quart size. I have a home ice-cream machine that makes great ice cream. Same kind of thing, chocolate almond and butter pecan is my favorite. The wife likes cookie dough and fruit flavors.

Problem with homemade ice cream is that 1. it often comes out icy and 2. it breaks down too fast since it doesn't have the normal stabilizers in it that you find commercial ice cream. Thus the small batches, they get eaten up before it breaks down.

Most reactions

Back