Last Hummers of 2005 (I think)

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by airgunr, Oct 2, 2005.

1. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I haven't seen them for a couple of days now and this is from the last roll I shot of them.

[​IMG]

2. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    :( we don't have such a birds here :( I am amazed how well you captured those tiny birdies! They seem to be pretty fast, aren't they?

3. steve817

steve817 TPF Noob!

Mentos, you can't even see their wings moving because they are so fast. Depending on the species of hummingbird their wings can flap anywhere from 50 to 80 times a second.

4. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, they are quick little buggers. I think these are immature ones but I'm not sure. My wife thinks so, they're not much bigger than my thumb.

As you can see by the one on the bottom they just flash in and out of the feeders. They sound like BIG bumble bees when they fly by you. First time I heard one I ducted because I thought it was a big bee. Fortunately they are pretty bold and don't seem to mind humans too much.

I shot this with a 200mm micro lens at f4 and 1/300 second with a flash. The wings are still kind of blurred even at that speed. I burned up a whole roll of 36exp and only got 3 or 4 decent shots. (yes, I still shoot film)

This one was the best on the roll. I find it easiest to shoot manually and just prefocus on the area around the feeder they will fly into. When the show up I just fire off a few frames as fast as I can and hope for the best. :)