Last minute trip to Acadia National Park - any advice?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have Tuesday-Friday off this week and was looking for something to do. I just got a smoking deal on an Airbnb in bar harbor and in 36 hours I’ll be making the 10 hour drive up there for 3 nights to photograph Acadia and the surrounding area.

I know much of the park is closed or difficult to access this time of year, but I’m told the area is loaded with incredible photo opportunities so I’m heading up anyway.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on the area? Secret spots? Good food? Safety concerns?

I've been there but couldn't tell you much about photographing it. I did remember seeing a B&H Video on it. I looked it up and found this:

Bump. Less than 24 hours until I’m on the road.

Anyone else have intel?

Drive up Cadillac Mtn for both sunrise and for sunset - assuming the road is open. We grabbed a rotisserie chicken and some snacks from the Hannafords and drove up early and ate dinner waiting for sunset.

If you time it right you can walk out to Bar Island at low tide and make the 2 mile hike (round trip) to the small lookout on top of the island. Don't get stuck out there in winter!

The Shore Path is easy and pretty at sunrise.

Jordan Pond is very popular for astrophotography.

Eagle Lake is nice for kayaking.

Do not eat breakfast at the Irish place in downtown Bar Harbor.

Bee Hive is not for the feint of heart.

Hiking Trails of Acadia National Park

On the way up: (these are not in geographical order) Penobscot Narrows Bridge which has a lookout up top. Good food at the Maine Diner in Wells, ME. LL Bean has their flagship store in Freeport. Awesome food and lighthouse in Portland.

I'm tagging @jsecordphoto as he probably has been there at various times of year while I have only been during summer... I have no idea what is good/bad/open/closed during the winter. I'm sure it's ruggedly beautiful.

@SquarePeg you rock! Most of the loop road and the road to Cadillac Mountain are closed so that won’t be happening. But I’ll be back this summer I’m sure because I’m going to want the full experience.

I’ll have access to the section of the loop road that follows the shoreline from bar harbor to otter cliffs so plenty of shoreline photo opportunities.

I really appreciate the ideas for the trip up, thanks!

Bass Harbor light house is a great photo op

I'll second Jordon's Pond, the Bubbles, and the Penobscot Narrows Bridge (US Route 1) at Bucksport / Fort Knox

If you are still checking this thread...there's a section of Acadia that is not on Mt. Desert Isle but on the peninsula to the east. I believe there's either no entrance fee or a nominal one, but there's a road that basically hugs the coast. Look on a map for Winter Harbor and Schoodic Point. It might be quieter, easier to get to a good photo spot.

I'd also recommend exploring the island beyond the park. There are some really great little towns elsewhere on the island. Can't remember exactly where we wandered off to, but I'm pretty sure Northeast Harbor was one of them. And if you like sushi, shoot up Rt 3 and then to Rt 1 into Ellsworth. There's a kickass place called Shinbashi. Doesn't look like much and it's in a strip mall, but it was good. :)

keep an eye on the weather. rain then freezing temps on the way.

Yeah, I’ve been watching it. I’m prepared for the conditions. Just hoping they maintain the roads in Maine as well as they do in my hometown.

Yeah, I’ve been watching it. I’m prepared for the conditions. Just hoping they maintain the roads in Maine as well as they do in my hometown.

The highways all the way through will be fine I'd assume. The drive between the highway and Bar Harbor is an hour plus on state routes that kinda go through the middle of nowhere. You're used to driving in winter crap though, and you have a capable vehicle so I'm sure you'll be fine.

The highways all the way through will be fine I'd assume. The drive between the highway and Bar Harbor is an hour plus on state routes that kinda go through the middle of nowhere. You're used to driving in winter crap though, and you have a capable vehicle so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Yeah I’m sure I’ll be okay.

My snow tires ordered three weeks ago remain on back order though, so the tires on my car have me a little nervous.

Not enough to stop me though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back