480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I took advantage of a couple of work-free days and some great spring weather yesterday and took a quick Attitude Readjustment Session.

Got all my backpack gear loaded up and headed to Stephens State Forest in SE Iowa for a little hiking and camping.

I left home about 10:30, and stopped in Osceola for lunch. Then off to the trailhead. I hit the dirt at 12:30. After a 1½ mile hike, I was at what is called the Buck Stop campsite (Google Maps).

I was all set up by 3, so I had plenty of time to enjoy the day.

Buck%20Stop%20Camp%20Site%20Post.jpg

If you want to see a 180x360° VR pano:

World Panoramic Photography - 360Cities

After a quick snack of some strawberries (dipped in confectioners sugar, of course!), I laid down got a nap to get through the heat of the afternoon.

Around 5:30, I cooked dinner (spaghetti and meat sauce and some Tostitos). As the sun went down, I wore some of the finish of a deck of cards while I just sat soaking up the sun and enjoying being absolutely alone.

In the meantime, I scavenged for some firewood, and around 8 I struck one match. As the sun had set and the sky was darkening, I spent the next hour just sitting........... watching and listening to the crackle of the fire, whippoorwills, woodpeckers, mockingbirds, frogs, crickets and the slight hush of the wind pushing through the tops of the trees.

As I sat there enjoying the fire, I heard two wild turkeys in some nearby trees. I caught sight of one in the fading skylight and figured it was only about 50 feet from the campsite.

By 9:30 I was all nested into my sleeping bag. I decided to forgo the rainfly as there was no rain predicted. I layed there for hours watching Leo in the southwest, Jupiter to the southeast and several fireflies that seemingly blinded me. By the time I saw the moon rise after midnight, it was time to close my eyes.

I gotta do this more often!

Reminds me of my favorite poem...

The Peace of Wild Things

By Wendell Berry

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Love a mental health day!!! Enjoyed the story.

My son and I spent the evening at a hidden fishing hole deep in the woods. It was paradise. No sign of humans or the development we insist upon.

Sparky next time just remember............
screen-shot-2012-04-04-at-10-44-30-pm.png

Glad your feeling better. :1251:

That sounds absolutely perfect! Beautiful area, easy to get to. Glad the weather cooperated, and the local critters, too.

Sounds like the universe was gentle with you right when you needed it. :586:

Most reactions

Back