Last of the Silvers

PetersCreek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I coulda sworn I posted this last night. Musta hit preview one more time instead of submit. :confused:

Anyway, this was just one of a few determined fishermen I encountered on a drive down the south Knik River, in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley. They were looking for some luck during the tail end of the last silver (coho) salmon run of the season and this fella was a bit farther out in the river than most.

Fishin_web.jpg

ohhhhhh, what a beautiful scene. :heart: I want to wade in there, too!

It seems a little dark to me - could be my crappy work monitor, though. I want to see more detail on the fisherman. :)

Yes, the fisherman himself is a little dark, but all the rest of the photo looks absolutely ok on my monitor here.
I like the scene, and I very much and most of all like the fact that you really point out with your composition that this fisherman waded a bit further into the river than most! You show us all the water from the bank to where he stands and beyond.

I would NOT want to wade after him ... I am sure the waters of this river are quite, quite cold by now! And always... Am I right?

i like it a lot. After i inspected it for a few seconds, the next thing that really drew me in (which may have or may not been on purpous) was the cloud in the background. It sort of gives you the idea, that there is the fisherman. He is small. Then the trees, and they look big, but those clouds. They just go forever. nice work

wow this is beautiful!!! I love your very original composition in this shot. Very unique style. And lovely colours. Dunno if they were saturated or not, but they look just surreal :) dreamy almost

Thank you all for the kind comments!

Re: the dark fisherman...it was kind of a tough lighting situation. I originally envisioned him being at least somewhat silhouletted but with the background being normally exposed, it didn't quite strike the right note with me. However, I couldn't satisfactorily lighten him in PS...at least not on the first pass. I intend to go back to RAW for a more ernest attempt.

LaFoto — No, the water's not always cold...well, I guess that depends on your definition of cold. I've waded in water during the early spring that made my legs sting (really should've put on the neoprene waders) but later in the season, it's quite pleasant.

Mentos — Nope, I didn't monkey with the saturation at all on this one. The touch of USM I applied did make it pop a bit more but even so, I think this was one of those pictures that kind of takes you by surprise when you first open the RAW. Must be something about the light we get here in Alaska.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back