Latest And Greatest DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by abyssal20, Jun 15, 2009.

1. abyssal20

abyssal20 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was surveying some of my old equipment the other day and started messing with my 1N-RS. Then I starting thinking about MY ultimate DSLR. Basically a full-frame, 12.8mp, 15 fps, pellicle mirror, sealed sensor, and silent operation. This would be a journalists dream. My RS would be virtually silent if it were not for the film transport. A DSLR doesn't have a film transport and the carbon fibre shutter WOULD be nearly silent. Imagine firing off 15 fps without distracting your primary or his/her cohorts (security). And without a mirror to flip, the sensor could be hermetically sealed agains dust.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I used to have a Canon FD body with Pellicle mirror. Wonderful idea but the loss of light through the pellicle mirror was too much for many photographers to accept. The closest DSLR to your specifications are the 4/3rds mount since they no longer use a mirror box and an EVF instead. With a cropped sensor, it isn't quite exactly what you are looking for. As for a silent shutter, the best would be to get rid of it all together and go with an electronic shutter forgoing any mechanical parts. I don't think carbon fiber would make good material for a shutter nor would it be any quieter than today's shutters. Personally, I wouldn't mind a return of the cloth shutter but that's just me...

3. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The original Canon 1D had an electronic shutter. I wonder why they moved away from it in later models.

4. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    1D had the same shutter mechanism as the 1 series film camera.

5. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Too bad you can't make custom DSLRs like you can make custom computers, cars, etc. Then you could have exactly what you wanted! You could have it sealed up, and have your choice of mount and everything. :)

Plus, this camera, IMO would not just be an ideal camera for you. Perhaps they don't make this cause they know a camera like that would be too ideal. Sometimes they intentionally make a camera less than what it could be in order to make people want to buy the new model. With film this was harder, so now these camera companies are having a field day.

I think too, that even though Panasonic is the only non-mirrored DSLR right now, that's SOON to change. The physics of such a design, although good, don't HAVE to be followed anymore. The DSLR industry is still so young... imagine what sort of cameras will be out there in 2020.

6. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Who told you that ? and it is still the best and will out last a MK3

7. Why fantasize about a mirror construction at all? I would prefer a real digital RF.

8. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    but now you can!!
    With Red : RED / Index
    note you might need a big budget.

9. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    :lol: "might"??? hehehe .. a big budget is a must.